Sunday, May 28, 2006

I am only consistent in my inconsistency.

Take today's tournaments, for example. Playing in an Online Poker Tour (OPT) tournament at the Purple Lounge, I make the final table and end up going heads up with the chip leader, who had about a 3 to 1 chip advantage over me. Although I put forth a good effort, I can't catch up with him and settle for second place. Not that second place is bad, but it sucks to be that close to the bling again and not get it. Third time for me. btw - "bling" are the OPT awards (little virtual medals) that you get for finishing first in a tournament.

After getting a short break (and avoiding a death sentence from my wife for playing poker instead of visiting with the relatives who are at the house), I play in a CardsChat.com freeroll on Poker.com. Fifteen players qualified by earning a certain number of comp points, and there is $1000 up for grabs for the first three places. Talk about an opportunity.

After playing some solid poker and sitting comfortably in about sixth or seventh place, I made one of those stupid errors from hell. I am in the small blind with A-Q. A good raise has been made. My gut is telling me that A-Q is a dangerous hand and that I should fold. I call. The flop is Q-rag-rag. I have top pair with an Ace kicker. I put out a decent raise and get put all in. Now my gut is telling me "You are probably up against K-K, maybe A-A. Cut your losses now." Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, I call. You guessed it: I was up against K-K. My only hope was for a Queen to show up on the turn or river, but that didn't happen.

Now, the competition at Cardschat.com is very good and there is certainly no guarantee that I would have gotten much farther, but I sure hated to go out on such a bonehead play.

Two steps forward, one step back ...

1 Comments:

Blogger MTC said...

It dont mean a thing if you aint got that bling. (hehe) I know that every time I see my "bling" the first thing that comes to mind is when you finish second. No 2nd place bling, nobody remembers you. Grrrrrrrrrr.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home