Friday, November 03, 2006

Straddling the Thin Line Between Winning and Losing

Yesterday was just one of those days. I needed to stay at work for a special presentation in the evening, so I knew that I would be cutting it close to make it for the start of the weekly Shark Road Game on Thurday nights at Absolute Poker. The Thursday night Shark game is a toughie -- great competition, and of course, the horrendous beats that Absolute seems to dole out on a regular basis. I have cashed in this tourney before, finishing as high as third, I believe, but have never taken it down.

I got into the game right at the start, but actually spent the first hour sleeping in between hands. I was so tired I just couldn't keep my eyes open. However, I was still able to play a solid game and stay in the middle of the pack up to the first break. At the second break I was still in acceptable position -- in the middle of the pack, but not where I would want to be chip-wise. Then ...

I was in the big blind and dealt J-10 of spades. The flop brought three lower spades, so I had flopped a Jack-high flush. I immediately decided to go all in and make someone pay to beat my hand, which I was pretty sure was currently the best. To my surprise, I got two callers: one who hit a set of 5's on the flop, another holding the King of spades and an off-suit card. So ... if the board pairs I would lose, and if another spade comes, I would lose. However, neither happens and I vaulted into third or fourth place. *Ding*

The tourney was paying nine places, and soon we were only a few people outside the money. In a blind, I got a Jack of hearts and a Queen os. The flop showed two hearts including the Queen. There were other dangerous high cards, but I decided to stay in -- a mistake, in retrospect. The turn was a heart and the river was a heart, so I was hoping that ZingBust, my opponent, did not have the Ace or King of hearts. Turns out that he had both. Suddenly I was in the group that would be jockying for bubble position.

We got down to 11 players, and three of us at the bottom were about equal in chips. I was dealt pocket Queens and decided to go all in to hopefully take down the pot right then and there. Unfortunately, ZingBust called and showed one of the two hands I dreaded: A-A. I got no help on the turn or the river and bowed out in 11th place, two places outside the money.

I don't whine about these kind of defeats much anymore, but I was just angry to have worked 12 hours, then played three tourney hours with nothing to show. What a waste of a day.

Tonight should be great since I have my home game on tap. I finished second the last time when I foolishly slow played my pocket Kings, so I hope to make up for it tonight by winning first place money.

3 Comments:

Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

How is that a beat? Unlucky maybe.. but not a beat.. heh. Better luck tonight.

11:05 AM  
Blogger slb159 said...

Yeah, good luck tonight...I don't have a lot of readers, but I linked you, and a few others, in my latest post. Hope you get some more visitors. See you at the next M00kie, of course!

12:36 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Thanks for stopping by, guys. As for the losing hand ... I didn't say it was a bad beat, just a beat -- one of those frustrating losses we get. I changed the wording based on the interpretation, so thanks. I just hated to play for three hours for nothing...

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home