Friday, November 23, 2007

Poker Results

Not a great week for poker, but I am thankful to get a few days off work. November is one of the busiest times of the year for me, and I was just crawling to the finish line on Wednesday.

I started off on a good note in the Bodonkey tournament on Tuesday night, but fell a little short of making the added T109. This site, which used to be very good to me, has really gone downhill ever since I lost my bankroll in a NL game on a one-outer on the river.

Wednesday - The Mookie. Ha ha - I don't even remember a thing about it already. I guess that work really did fry my mind.

Thursday - Riverchasers. I was doing well until a crucial hand. Blinds were 80 & 160. I (5,325) was dealt 9-9. sellthekids (2,800) raised to 480 in middle position. I was reading A-K or A-Q, and I raised to 800. I got a call. The flop was 4h-6s-Ts. sellthekids raised 1,000, which I took as a c-bet and bluff. I went all in and and got my call -- from 10-9 hearts! Raising and then calling my re-raise and risking over 28% percent of your chips with 10-9suited? And then raising 1,000 with TPMK and calling my all in? What a hand. Did his play make sense? Did my play? Comments on it are welcomed.

I went down from top ten to one of the short stacks, and I went out soon afterward when I ran my A-Q into A-K. I did, however, win my second hammershangout tournament, a one-table affair this time. However, I did get to face off head to head with my old pal MurryTheCat, so it seemed like one of our old OnlinePokerTour battles from 2006. Those were some fun days.

And just for a giggle, a saw a small buy in Omaha tournament on Full Tilt in the afternoon, so I gave it a try. I have only played about three Omaha tournaments, so it was actually pretty exciting. Unfortunately, my inexperience with Omaha led me to make a poor call late in the tournament when I was only two away from the money. However, it was fun playing something other than Hold Em, so I'll try a few more of these.

Thanksgiving & Black Friday

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. My wife outdid herself (as usual) and cooked a fantastic spread of traditional Thanksgiving food: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, rolls and butter, pecan pie, cherry pie...

I did nothing on Thanksgiving day except eat, sleep, and play poker. What a great way to spend the day! I needed a day like this to recover from the busy period at work.

Black Friday used to be one of my favorite days of the year. Many years ago, I would have my shopping route made out ahead of time, carrying a list of all the sales on toys and gifts for my young kids. As they have gotten older and as Black Friday has now become an unmanageable traffic snarl in my town (inside and outside all the stores), I now stay as far away from the shopping areas as possible. It kills this ol' bargain hunter to pass up all the great sales, but the days of waiting hours in line to save a few bucks have passed . If you are venturing out today -- good luck!!

**** "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." ****

2 Comments:

Blogger MurryTheCat said...

I don't think you played it poorly. Although I may have been more apt to just call the 480 preflop. On the flop I would have some concern that he hit a set and was protecting against the flush draw. But ultimately I would feel pretty confident that I was ahead with the 9-9. Have to be in the seat and situation to be sure what I would have done. If it was mid tournament I might let it go, late there is a good chance I make same play as you. He only had another 1000 behind his flop bet so even wrong your still alive. Bottom line for me would be the stage of the game. But what the hell do I know, I blow more reads late in games then anyone lol. MTC

2:25 PM  
Blogger Mike Maloney said...

The only thing that raised some flags for me was the 1,000 bet on the flop. It doesn't seem like a c-bet to me, it looks like he hit the flop. I'll agree that it's hard to put him on a 10 there, but something like 1010-AA is certainly something to consider.

You probably don't need to re-raise preflop, especially since you have position. However, since you did re-raise, it's important to recognize where you're at so that the hand doesn't get out of control with all those chips in the pot.

So, overall I think you should have been more cautious with that hand. At the same time, I can't really justify any of his calls in this hand. Calling OOP heads up with 10-9 sooted after you get re-raised is probably not a good idea, and thinking your TP is good after getting re-raised again on the flop is also not a good idea.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home