Thursday, February 28, 2008

Just When It Seems Like Nothing is Going Right ...

... the poker gods smile on you... at least a little.

Last night was about the worst I've felt about online poker -- perhaps ever. I was in the Mookie and an Online Poker Tour event and was getting creamed with nasty stuff in each -- KK loses to 7-7, Ace hits on the river, can't win a 50/50% to save my life... I began thinking about how there was a discussion several weeks ago on Buddy Dank Radio about who was lucky and who was unlucky. I clearly fit into the unlucky catagory. If I have a pocket pair against A-something, the Ace falls on the river. If I have A-something vs a pair, my opponent hits the set. If I have my opponent dominated, the nasty one, two, or three-outer comes.

I began to think that it was time to give up online tournaments on Full Tilt. Yes, I love my werewolf icon and I like the interface, but I was getting tired of taking so many bad beats and losing virtually every 50/50% hand. It seemed like I never was the recipient of a little good ol' luck.

What the heck happened tonight? I actually got cards, put some nasty hurts on people (set of Aces vs set of 3's, for example), even got one suckout (A-J vs A-Q) and played smart poker. I was the chip leader a good portion of the tournament. If I had a pocket pair, I hit the set. What -- did Full Tilt think I was Astin or something? I varied my bets, and used the ol' minimum raise over and over to confuse the other players. Did I have something? Was I just trying for a cheap steal?

The only really bad thing that happened was the last hand. I hit a straight on the river and went all in. Unfortunately, the river also completed the flush for my opponent, who had me covered. Such is poker, huh?

What to do now? Do I let this little gift from the poker gods keep me going in tournaments at Full Tilt, especially now that Battle of the Blogger Tournaments 3 is ready to begin? I feel like such a weenie ...

8 Comments:

Blogger Mondogarage said...

Dude, that's like 10 Mookie or Riverchasers buyins.

Or 99 Wendy's Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers.

Which one's more important?

10:35 AM  
Blogger BamBam said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for taking the time to comment!

And yeah, I know what you mean. The knock-out hands from about 26th. to 16th. were some seriously wild uh, "play?"

Like anyone, I understand throwing a few fun hands at another player in the beginning of the game. It sorta' set the 'fun tone' to the game and all. But to utilize the hammer or acey-duecey when your tourney life is on the line? That's a strategy I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around.

Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

12:26 PM  
Blogger kurokitty said...

Congrats!!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:07 AM  
Blogger The Poker Enthusiast said...

My family and I greatly appreciate the kind thoughts and words you have for us in our time of grief. Our prayers are returned to you in honor of my father. Thank you.

Pokerenthusiast

9:40 PM  
Blogger genomeboy said...

Hi-

I saw your comments on Evy's blog re her son with developmental issues.

I have a 10 year old with Asperger's, and could really use someone (other than my lovely wife...) to talk to.

If you're up for it, can you shoot me an email? Besides AS, I suppose we also have poker in common...

Jason

7:42 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Jason:

I tried to send you an e-mail. I hope it went through. If not, please leave your addy or phone number. I'd be happy to talk with you.

10:20 AM  
Blogger genomeboy said...

Hi-

I enabled my profile to show my email address. I didn't see a new email from you (but got notified of your new comment...

Try it now.

Thanks!
Jason

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home