Thursday, March 06, 2008

Deeeeep Run in Midnight Madness


Shoot - all that time and effort, only to fall just short of the final table in Wednesday's Midnight Madness. The funny thing was, right at the money bubble, I had around 1,000 chips! Someone at my table even said, "Hey light - keeping an eye on the bubble?"

I was down to about 650 after the bubble popped. A combination of a hot run and expert short-stack play (of course I am experienced in playing with the little stack!) got me going to the point that I was eventually chip leader! However, as the blinds and antes increased toward the end, the tournament deteriorated into mostly a fold or shove fest at my new table. I thought my A-7 would get me the blinds, but I unfortunately ran it right into A-Q. Looking back (that good old 50/50 hindsight), the fact that it was late, I was tired, and had been playing Mookie/Madness for seven hours, all added into a decision that probably was not the best. Yep - I should have folded and picked a better spot.

In addition, there is that lousy feeling -- all those hours put into the tournament, trying to keep awake and focused, knowing that work will be a crappy day with the lack of sleep.

Well, at least this tells me that I can at least hang with the Midnight Madness donks. But wait -- that really isn't a good thing, right?

As for the Mookie: I watched the deck slap Astin right in the freakin' face time and time again while I got 9-3os and the like. The Mookie and Midnight Madness -- talk about completely different stories.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mondogarage said...

Dude, you're about one nice run of cards away from pulling a KOD, for real. Midnight Madness is a horrible minefield, and just making it to final 3-4 tables is really saying something.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

Dude, you're about one nice run of cards away from pulling a KOD, for real. Midnight Madness is a horrible minefield, and just making it to final 3-4 tables is really saying something.

3:06 PM  
Blogger RaisingCayne said...

Nice run! That MM tourney is quite the minefield.

Was at your table in the Mookie for awhile last night. It sure seemed like you must've been card dead as I noticed you go a loooong while between playing any pots.

Funny about your "pride" about being able to hang with that midnight madness crowd... I had a friend once finish 3rd in the tournament, and she called me the next day to brag about it. The only response my ego let me muster was, "...and you're proud of that!?"

Seriously though, nice run! Quite a feat to get through that minefield,(where A-7 is usually GOLD!.. so don't kick yourself too much for that last decision.)

Good luck going forward in the BBT3... Riverchaser's tonight. (I'm gonna go google "PLO.")

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home