Friday, October 17, 2008

Time Out for Some Personal Stuff
For the first time in 16 months, I feel like I don't have something hanging over my head. Some catching up on things in my personal life:

1) I sold my house in September. The stress during the 14 months the house was on the market was unbelievable. Thank goodness I sold it before the economy went in the crapper. However, I lived for many months with some physical problems, but I didn't want to face them until the house was sold -- just in case I had to hear more bad news.

2) I finally got my ass in to see my doctor. After some testing, I now know that my cholesterol and triglycerides are up and I have a hiatal hernia, gastroesophageal reflux, and gastritis. I have the nasty procedure coming up in about a month (you can guess what that is), and I am hoping that there are no major problems.

3) I have applied for sabbatical leave at my school for the spring 2010 semester. Should I receive it, my son has already postulated that some of the time will be spent studying in Las Vegas. Bright kid!

4) My mother turns 83 tomorrow. She is a long-time sufferer of chronic depression. She just came back from the hospital and is not looking very good. She lost a lot of her will to live when my dad passed away a few years ago. She has seen so many friends die and has had some extensive medical problems the past several years. I hope things will turn around and she'll be here for at least a few more years.

5) Whenever I started feeling sorry for myself when my house wasn't selling, I thought of Jen, a co-worker. Jen is in her early 30's, married, and has a young child. She is smart, lively, and stunningly beautiful. However, Jen has been fighting breast cancer for the past year. How could I possibly whine about my house when she was bravely dealing with cancer? After treatment, Jen's cancer appeared to be in remission. Just when things were looking good for her, she found out the cancer returned and she was facing a double mastectomy. Before she could have the operation, she found that the cancer spread to her bones ... How can life be so unfair sometimes?


Speaking of unfair, if you haven't been to katiemother's blog, please stop by and offer your support. She tells a tale of every parent's nightmare.

So ... although life can be quite a challenge, things are actually not bad for me right now. I feel pretty lucky.

And if you have a few spare minutes and are so inclined, please send any prayers or good karma to my mom, Jen, and katiemother, her daughter, and her family. Sometimes we all need a little help.

5 Comments:

Blogger OhCaptain said...

I'm sending my karma.

I think I might want to clear some time on the calendar in the spring of 2010...

10:53 AM  
Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

Be strong.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

Good vibes sent. Events like these are reminders of what's truly important. Hang in there and good luck with your procedures.

11:35 AM  
Blogger BamBam said...

Every day we look at ourselves and see some problems. But they can all be put into perspective, when you run across others with REAL problems.

Karma pointed the right direction as requested. I had a little left over so, don't duck when it gets there!

;)

1:19 PM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

Good luck.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home