Thursday, March 11, 2010

Updates and Minimal Poker Content
MiniFTOPS, Mini Cash
Totally donked out of MiniFTOPS Event # 1 after hitting trips on the flop and losing most of my stack when I was outkicked. I guess I could have been more cautious, but ... hee haw!

Played Event # 2 (Omaha H/L Pot Limit) and finished 288th out of 4,198 runners. Unfortunately, events like this give me the illusion that I might know what I am doing in Omaha. The result is that I probably lose some mobney at the cash tables until I get my mind right.

Our Dog's Health
We think that Ginger has Cushing's disease. We still need to go back to our vet to confirm the diagnosis. We might be lucky and be able to treat her with medication. This might not sound like good news, but we were afraid that she had liver cancer. We hope she will be with us for many more years.

Wife's Employment Situation
My wife was not selected for a second interview for a job she applied for with a local clinic. It looked like there was a good match between the job responsibilities and duties and my wife's skills and experience. We were surprised. I guess this just means that a better opportunity is waiting around the corner.

My Daughter's College Plans

Although she had a great ACT score and great high school grades, we were disappointed to hear that my daughter was not granted an academic scholarship to Texas A & M through its honors program. No scholarship = pay out-of-state tuition. This, of course, caused some rethinking. My daughter is actually unsure about a major and has been unmotivated regarding school since her boyfriend moved back to Texas. My proposal to her: move to Texas, take online classes through my school (which would be FREE), work, and figure out what she wants to do. She gets to be near her boyfriend, which to her is most important right now. She gets to attend school at no cost, which is important to me. We don't waste money and we take the pressure off her since she is uncertain about her future.

My wife said that I am brilliant. Of course, those of you who read this blog already should know that.

And how is your life this week?

7 Comments:

Blogger BigPirate said...

-Won a little last night after a bad run.
-All three dogs seem to be doing well
-Wife still looking for a job and not getting much response. Hoping a temp census job comes through if nothing else
-Kids don't start college for a few years yet, but still worried.."

Thanks for asking.

6:07 PM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

Brilliant combined with the right attitude can work wonders.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Fuel55 said...

Never cheap out on education.

2:02 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Fuel, I do not believe that there is a correlation between cost and degree of excellence in the first two years of higher education. While I would prefer a different mode of instruction for my daughter, I would choose the education received at a superior community college over that of a large, research-based four-year university any day. Hugely populated gen ed courses taught in lecture halls by aspiring advanced degree candidates vs. small classes taught by experienced professors. In reality, it is not even close.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

Actually after having gone through it many years ago I found that most schools have a basic set of general course requirements that fall outside a major that they expecy under the guise of a "well rounded education." As far as I'm concerned on should take these courses at a junior or community college, online would probably work as well, where the cost is cheaper, then transfer to a four year school for the core courses of a major. Why pay full price for the general education credits when they probably aren't taught much better at a major school? Not only that one can pick up an associate's degree which can be an advantage if one needs to acquire a job while attending the full bore school later on and you still get your undergraduate degree issued from the 4 year school.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

If she moves to Texas for a while, can she apply as a resident to Texas A&M?

5:18 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

This is the Catch 22: to remain covered under my health insurance she needs to be going to school full time and listed as a dependent on my federal income tax forms. I believe that she would probably not be able to accrue time toward Texas residency because she will be listed as my dependent on tax forms.

Of course, she can always join the military, get married, or have a dependent herself -- uh, no.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home