Monday, April 05, 2010

White Sox Opener -- Yesssss!!
I decided to go to a couple of home openers this season -- the first in a long time for me. My main team, the Chicago White Sox, won a nice 6-0 game against the Cleveland Indians. Game time temperature: 74 degrees. Yowsa! What a great day to go to a game.
I drove in from the southwest suburbs and ran into some traffic snarls on I-55. However, the worst was when I got near US Cellular Field. The parking and traffic situation was one huge mess. So many main lots are reserved for people with pre-paid parking coupons. Finding a cash lot -- muhaha!
I drove around (and sat in traffic) and finally found what seemed to be a relatively decent place to park -- 38th Street and Wabash. I planned on parking in a lot ($23), but couldn't even find one in which to park. I had a little bit of a hike to the field, but heck -- free parking!
Have you ever been to a White Sox game? The crowd is unique. The fans are really hardcore. The Sox have always been the blue collar team in the city while the Cubs seem to appeal to a more affluent crowd. Gross generalizations, I know, but as a veteran of mega games over the last 40 years, I think I have the experience and history.
While waiting to enter The Cell, I saw a guy I would never screw with in a million years. Gawd -- in my entire life I have never seen someone so ripped! The vascularity on his arms was amazing. He was making sure that the morons who tried to circumvent the line got in the back. He tended to be successful!
A first inning home run by Paul Konerko put the Sox up 2-0. They never looked back.
As for baqllpark entertainment ... one section over, a girl passed out. The medical team came up and eventually carted her out. I was a little worried at first that she might have had something really wrong with her, but the lack of concern of her friends told a story of perhaps a little too much beer on opening day.
While the medics were attending to this girl, pitcher Mark Buehrle made an unbelievable defensive play -- the best I have ever witnessed in person:


With my nice street parking spot, I felt like I was freerolling with my food. Nothing like a ballpark polish with grilled onions washed down with a little Leinie! Why does this stuff always taste so much better at a ballgame?

With the Sox safely up 6-0, I started for the exits at the end of the eighth inning. I was ready to face the snarl of the Dan Ryan. When I got a good look at the bumber-to-bumper traffic, I decided to just head south on State Street and figured that I would eventually find my way to I-57 south. After an interesting scenic tour through the south side of Chicago, I easily found my way at about 121st St. I avoided the major rush hour traffic jam. Sweet. The almost perfect opening day.

Next week: Cubs home opener report.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shrike said...

Play of the year. No other candidates need apply.

-PL

10:58 PM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

Saw the play tonight. Pretty f-ing amazing.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I decided to go to a couple of home openers this season

I'm so jealous.

I tried to look at the play and it had been removed or something. I'll try on UTube.

11:06 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I figured it would be removed sooner or later. There are currently two versions on YouTube. I'm sure they'll be removed soon also.

11:10 AM  
Blogger smokkee said...

sick play by Buehrle.

too bad it was against perennial losers CLE. it would've held more weight against the BoSox or Yankees.

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home