Thursday, May 06, 2010

Fathers
A bittersweet post yesterday by Gary, remembering his father on the second anniversary of his death, focused me on my father, who would have turned 86 today. He passed away almost six years ago.

At the time of his passing, my dad had a case of dementia which was getting worse every week. We were actually thankful that his body gave out before his mind.

I always got along with my dad and felt like I was okay in my relationship with him when he died. This helped me in coping with his death, although watching him die as we took him off life support was excruciatingly painful.

To celebrate my dad's birthday, I reread my favorite post that I have ever written a few minutes ago.

It is a wonderful sunny May afternoon outside -- a great time to ride in the convertible. Time to pick up one of my kids at school. That's the kind of thing fathers do, you know ...

6 Comments:

Blogger Schaubs said...

Bongo still around?

4:06 PM  
Blogger dbcooper said...

I just read your post from a year ago. Great post. I remember a lot of stuff my dad did and hope my kids in future do too.

4:23 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Moved Bongo from the back seat to the front of the car for today. I hope he didn't get racked on the gearshift.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Lucki Duck said...

I can see why the post is your favorite.

A wonderful tribute to a special man.

Isn't it ashame all kids can't have a Dad like yours? You were lucky to have him in your life.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Lightning, what a beautiful post. It made me think of the small things my dad would do for me. He died a year and a half ago from liver cancer. So hard to see him that way. Thank you for sharing on your dad's birthday and spreading the love.

Josie

11:06 PM  
Blogger crafty said...

May we never forget the ten thousand little things that our Dads did for us - the unthinking sacrifices that demonstrated his love so much deeper than words could possibly do.

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home