Saturday, May 29, 2010

Two Simple Words for Today

A blogger recently asked the question "What's the definition of friend?" My response included the following: "Friends are people you can rely on. They are there to help you celebrate the good times and are there to pick you up during the bad ones. "

I was in a reflective mood the other day when I realized that I had long passed the four year anniversary of my blog. It is interesting to note that the most comments I ever received in those four years plus on any of my writings were from the post I wrote after I won the BBT3 Freeroll and the post I wrote asking for prayers and good thoughts for my son when he was diagnosed with cancer. Gee -- that sounds like my short definition of friend.

Several other bloggers, usually after blogger gatherings, have written about the friendships they have made through blogging and online poker. I went to my first big blogger gathering last December and saw such true friendship and affection between many of the bloggers -- particularly those that had cultivated those relationships both online and in person over a number of years. It seemed great.

While we compete against each other and sometimes have disagreements of one sort or another, this little subgroup of poker bloggers is still pretty much like a fraternity, a sorority, or perhaps a family: not perfect by any means, but full of generous, kind, caring, genuine people.

My point in all this? To say a huge THANK YOU for all the comments, messages, e-mails, and phone calls that helped make the situation with my son tolerable. Yes, all that stuff really does help. Tremendously. And a special thanks to my poker bro OhCaptain, who was so generous and giving of his time and concern when my family was up in his town to get treatment for my son.

My son's surgery was almost seven weeks ago. His scar has healed nicely (well -- about as nice as a big honking scar on your face and neck can look). He still has paralysis on the right side of his face and is getting impatient for the return of a full smile. He is back to eating us out of house and home, spending countless hours on the internet, and griping about all the imperfections of the world as only someone on the cusp of 16 can do. In other words, things are pretty normal.

We all face challenges in our lives. My son's cancer was a sudden and unexpected challenge. My family stood up to it and kicked its ass. And you were there to help. For this I will be eternally grateful.

10 Comments:

Blogger bastinptc said...

So very glad to read your son is doing well.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

Good to hear your son is okay. And congrats for 4 years of blogging.

8:55 AM  
Blogger dbcooper said...

Its incredible that your son is doing so well and its great hearing about it. Keep us informed and congrats on 4 years.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

Glad to hear your son is doing well. I can relate to the impatience. Just tell him to keep working on that smile, it will come back. This from someone who knows.

Don't know how he feels about that scar but it reminds me of when my daughter split her forehead open and needed stitches. After they were done my daughter goes in to the bathroom and a few minutes later I hear on of the ER docs talking to another asking if he had seen the kid in the bathroom. He says she's looking at the stiches in the mirror and saying, "hey, I look cool". I just had to crack up.

GL to your son.

11:41 AM  
Blogger BWoP said...

Great news about your son :-) That smile will be back soon enough.

12:45 PM  
Blogger smokkee said...

glad to hear the young man is recovering nicely.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Thanks for the update on your son! Glad to hear he's recovering well.

7:04 PM  
Blogger BLAARGH! said...

Good to hear about your kid. Very nice way to write an update btw...

5:16 PM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

Wonderful, wonderful sentiments, and even better news about your son. May every day continue to bring improvements (and yeah, the smile *will* return).

3:50 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Lightning - I'm humbled. Thank you. BTW - Charity tournament details are up on my blog. Feel free to spread the word.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home