Thursday, July 08, 2010

Catching Up On Some Family Stuff
Man, I need to catch up on some posts. I still have not posted a trip review from my recent journey to Las Vegas and have a few interesting posts to put up regarding my search for locations in music trivia/history. However, here are a few things going on with me recently:

1) Poker -- Went out in the VeryJosie when I ran my A-Q into Q-Q (thanks PokahDave) and out in the Mookie when I had Joanada crushed and all in with two pair after the flop and she sucked out on me. Such is life in blogger tournaments, right?

2) My sabbatical and non-contract days are almost at an end. I return to my regular working schedule on Monday. I am actually looking forward to it. My best friend at work recently retired, so I am the final remaining member of my old lunch group. Where does time go?

3) Family situation is always changing. Adopted new cat that had been hanging around the house. Wife claimed that having him neutered would cost only about $50 -- about the fee that the local humane society charges when you adopt from it. Ha ha -- wrongo. Neutering, requisite health tests, and license/tag fees ran me almost $350. Another mouth to feed.

Wife is now at the one year mark for being unable to find a full-time professional job. The economy has really tightened up the job market in my area. It looks like her unemployment benefits have ended, barring a reprieve from Congress. She might have to pound the pavement soon to get a regular job while continuing her search for professional employment. Not a happy time for her.

Oldest daughter is having second thoughts on moving to Texas. She really wants to stay home for another year, but boyfriend is in Texas. I don't know how this one will turn out. Her tentative moving date is less than seven weeks away.

Son is recovering well from his surgery. He has a big scar, but it has healed very well. He has regained much control over the right side of his face. We make our first trip back to the Mayo Clinic toward the end of the month. Things look very good -- as far as we know. He will take his drivers license test soon.

Youngest daughter is struggling with new braces. She is a drama queen and does not handle pain very well. Hard to believe my baby has only one year left before she begins high school.

So ... my life is interesting. Poker has been in the background lately. However, the LeBron sweepstakes and the success of the Chicago White Sox (damn -- they are playing really well!) have kept me in the sports loop. My World Cup pick -- Spain -- is in the finals. NFL games will be here before we know it. Sports life is good -- with the exception of the Cubs!

Cheers!

4 Comments:

Blogger Josie said...

Cannot wait to hear about Vegas! GL with going back to work. Ugh, I need a frikkin sabbatical!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Nice post, thanks for the update.

1:14 PM  
Blogger BamBam said...

Although I can appreciate everything in this post, please let Mrs. Lightning know, I really feel for her.

:)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

Employment aside, sounds as if things are going very swimmingly for Clan Lightning36 these days. I do feel bad for the Mrs., as things look to stay brutal nationally on that front for a while. Damn.

But hang in there....you've got a lot of things looking up.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home