Thursday, August 05, 2010

Cars
The Van
The van needed some work. Not just for one problem, mind you, but a few little issues and one major concern. I made an appointment with a local trusted mechanic, but couldn't get the van in for almost two weeks. Instead, we decided to just go to the local dealership where we had had many problems fixed in the past. I get the call from my wife. The news is not good:

1) Radiator has a leak. Estimate to fix: $680
2) Power doors do not work. Estimate to fix: $500
3) Backup lights -- were not working but now are. $0
4) Power window not working. Estimate to fix: $320
Yeah -- that is $1500, which doesn't even count the backup lights which now seem to work but may need to be fixed in the future. I wasn't wanting to fork over $1500, so we told them we would just get the van back and think about it. My plan: keep the appointment with the trusted mechanic and see what that shop says.
I go to pick up the van and pay the bill. I notice:
1) All door locks except one are now working
2) Power window is now working
3) And, of course, the backup lights are now working
Total cost: $92
I'll let the local mechanic give us an estimate on the radiator.
The Mustang
My son had just gotten his drivers license last week. I flipped him the keys to my Mustang so that he could drive it home from the dealership while I paid for the van diagnostics. We gave him directions home since he just started driving and was unfamiliar with the local roads. The route home was made easy: left on Prospect Ave, right on Springfield Ave, left on Staley Road.
As I drove home, the phone calls began.
----------------------------------------------------
son: "Dad, I think I drove past Springfield."
lightning: "What road are you on?"
son: "Prospect."
lightning: "Go to the next major road and turn right."
-----------------------------------------------------
son: "Dad, I don't know where I am."
lightning: "What road are you on?"
son: "Willow."
lightning: "I don't know where Willow is."
------------------------------------------------------
son: "Dad, the car has a flat tire?"
lightning: "What did you do?"
son: "Dad, I think I wrecked the car."
Just another tricky day ...

5 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Thank goodness for local mechanics.

11:03 PM  
Blogger KenP said...

Yeah, I've a good mechanic too. He's my age and can't sell the place. Had a hip replacement and was closed for a while. Both bays always have a car. I pray it doesn't sell. Does that make me a bad person?

His prices are stuck somewhere in the late 80's compared to all the others.

6:42 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Just win some poker tourneys *snicker*. I crack myself up.

9:08 AM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

Oh man! I can't wait for my kids to be of driving age - NOT!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

I'm thinking take your son to the local mechanic, and the mechanic can fix his driving for much less than the dealership?

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home