Sunday, February 06, 2011

Congratulations Packers Fans

Although it was heartbreaking to see my Chicago Bears lose to the arch rival Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship Game, I am able to at least stomach it by remembering that faithful fans of Green Bay have been rewarded.

There was a really bad dry spell in major Chicago sports championships while I was growing up -- a HUGE dry spell from December 29, 1963 to January 26, 1986. The Bears won both those championships, but there were none in between -- no White Sox, no Cubs, no Blackhawks (in fairness, the Hawks won in 1961), no Bears, and no Bulls. The Chicago Sting won North American Soccer League (NASL) titles in 1981 and 1984, but soccer has never been considered one of the major professional sports in the United States.

Remembering how difficult it was to root for teams year after year and never see success, I would certainly like to see some long-suffering fans rewarded in the next few years. I feel sorry for fans in Cleveleand who have been without a title in so many years. If the Blackhawks can not win in 2011, I would actually like to see the Vancouver Canucks fans be rewarded.

All dedicated sports fans deserve a winner sometime. Tonight the Packers fans have their day. Congratulations!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger OhCaptain said...

Really? Even Vikings fans? Do we deserve our day?

I suppose it could happen.

8:00 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Sigh ... I guess that would apply toward Vikings fans also, but since Vikings fans probably tend to root for the Twins, I do not have nearlt as much sympathy ...

1:54 PM  
Blogger BamBam said...

Weeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home