Thursday, May 05, 2011

Death Permeates Spring

It is the first week of May. I used to remember this time of the year for the temperate weather, the flowers, the introduction of the wonder of summer. This year in particular, however, I feel sad, despondent, and lonely. At a time that I traditionally saw as a new beginning, I feel a depressing reminder of the end.

Death. It seems to be everywhere. The father of a fellow poker blogger. The father of an Italian Dinner Club friend. The first member of my generation of relatives and their spouses.

My long-time insurance agent, a guy who generated more positive vibes that almost anyone I can remember, is in hospice care. An almost deserted office tells his sad story.

But it is not just the present. One blogger is reflecting on the anniversary of his father's death. Later this month my wife and I will be remembering that sad time when my father-in-law was forced to throw in the towel in his fight against cancer. May is sure not what it used to be.

And oh yeah -- happy birthday, Dad. Let's hope that guy upstairs springs for a beer. I'd buy you one if I could.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger bastinptc said...

You and I will have a beer in December. How 'bout it? In the meantime, my heart goes out to you.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Well, good morning Miss Sunshine.

How perceptive you are growing. Don't even think it is topping out.

I have one good friend and no close friends left. Wanna trade, laddie buck?

I ain't bitchin. You and I got the day to live as we wish. You know anything better?

P.S. My daffodils are looking great and the sun is out.

10:12 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Your perspective is always welcomed, Ken P. You probably went through this stage, what -- 40 years ago? : o )

If you are lacking friends I will have Joe C start contacting you. That'll teach ya ...

11:24 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

Ken, I will email you asap. :)

Light - Nice post. I'm thinking of ya.

10:32 PM  
Blogger The Neophyte said...

Well said Light. I'll raise a glass in your honor tonight. And remember a few absent friends and family members myself.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home