Friday, August 12, 2011

Rockin' The Diamonds at the Georgetown Fair


In some previous posts I had mentioned one of my softball buddies and home game poker players who is a professional singer. His group, The Diamonds (the current version of the 1950's group), had a gig close by at the Georgetown Fair in central Illinois. Naturally, this was a great opportunity to have a fun night out and see one of my friends in action.

If you are a fan of 1950's music, The Diamonds are definitely group to see. They played for almost two hours, covering top hits by many artists from long ago. There was plenty of loose banter between songs, as the evening was meant to be a fun celebration of the past.

I had told my friend Bob that during the show I was going to yell out "We love you, Bobby," but Mrs. Lightning beat me to the punch. He he -- nothing like razzing your friends in public.

For me, the highlight of the evening came at the final song. A few days prior, our softball team played its final game of the season. After the game, several players and their families retreated to a local pizza joint for some food and drink. After having a few frosty ones, I became my usual obnoxious self and started telling Bob that I wanted to sing his beginning to The Diamonds' monster hit, Little Darlin'. Having no shame and singing with my best high voice, I belted out the beginning to Little Darlin ' : "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Ya-ya-ya yaaaaaaaaaaa Ya-ya-yaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaah ... Mrs. Lightning was not flustered, knowing that I actively seek out opportunities to display my terrible singing voice. Of course, for me it was a blast.

Anyway, just as Bob, the group's tenor,  was getting ready to belt out the opening to Little' Darlin, he grabbed the microphone and said "This is just for you, John" and started with the Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ya-ya-ya yaaaaaaaaaaa ...

Yessssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was a fun night!

2 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Great song! And fun night for you.

11:05 PM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

Nice. How could one not help singing along?

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home