Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Time To Let Go, Red Sox

Yeah -- I root for the Cubbies. The White Sox have always been my main team, but the Cubs were also a main part of my life while growing up in suburban Chicago. I hate to even begin to think of all the pain, from 1969 to Leon Durham to Steve Bartman ...

Anyway, let's face it: the Cubs are Sad Sacks. They haven't won a championship in over 100 years. Simply amazing. However, let's not forget that the Boston Red Sox had been Sad Sacks for almost as long until Theo Epstein changed the team, the culture, the long championship drought. Not one championship, mind you, but two. I have only seen one championship in my lifetime in rooting for the White Sox and Cubs, and I was already on the dark side of my 40's when it happened. Hah -- no sympathy and no love for the Red Sox for me!

Well, as inept as the Cubs are, they couldn't even get it right when hiring Theo Epstein. Instead of agreeing with the Red Sox on compensation BEFORE hiring Epstein, they blundered as usual and are now caught up in a pissing match with the Red Sox owners. How bad is it when the teams want Bud Selig to make the decision? Both teams look bad -- the Cubs for being unable to to close a simple business deal, and the Red Sox for looking like ninnies for not just moving on. Worse for the Red Sox, it continues to bring focus on the monumental collapse of 2011 -- not just the unbelievable choke of the season, but the implosion of the team. Buh bye Tito, buh bye Theo, buh bye Papelbon, hello fried chicken and beer. Burp.

Let's face it -- before Theo the Red Sox were like the Cubs -- the geeky guy that never got the homecoming queen. Well, the Red Sox had the hot chick but now the relationship is over. Time to move on, Red Sox -- she's gone. The Cubs are the main man now. Just let it go.

10 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

It's going to take a while, even for Theo, to get things straightened out. Big contracts to Zambrano and Soriano are two issues he has to overcome. I'm a Cardinal fan who also likes the Cubbies, so I'll be rooting for Epstein.

12:12 AM  
Blogger crafty said...

It's an apt simile - that of the Red Sox, pre-2004, as being the lovable losers who never got the girl. But the Sox smartened up, got a little smooth, put some Marvin Gaye on the hi-fi (kids, look it up) and GOT the girl. Twice. And the relationship might be gone but we've got two shining trophies as remembrances of the nights the most beautiful girl in the room left on our arm.

For your sake, and for the sake of Cubs fans everywhere, I hope you come to know that feeling.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Just let it go.

The locals there don't have a great history at rational thought. Time to reduce your expectations. In which area is up to you.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

Like every John knows, if you want the hot chick, you have to pay baby. So stop your whining.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Lucki Duck said...

"I'm a Cardinal fan who also likes the Cubbies,"

Isn't that a felony in the midwest MOJO?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Cranky said...

Gotta say this red sox fan, for one, was glad to see Theo move on. I hope, though, that he has magic for the Cubbies because it would be so fun if they got the "girl" after all these years (to continue the analogy). I thought I followed local Boston sports pretty closely but hadn't heard a peep about this compensation issue. Perhaps it's more of a Chicago issue than a Boston one.

8:23 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

Nobody cares as much as you think they do..it's all the Red Sox P.R. machine. Larry Lucchino is the guy that controls the ship...I heard Theo on a local Sports talk radio station and he says that there was a precedent set with the Twins and the White Sox a few years back (I don't remember it but he was repeating that fact). The Boston Globe also owns part of the team..so any P.R. gets spun as much as Larry and the Globe want.
I don't think your average Boston fan cares that much. As a lifer myself I would expect maybe some kind of prospect or cash...

9:57 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Interesting perspectives from the home base of Red Sox Nation. The midwest Red Sox fans that I have spoken with regret how this all came about and are not Lucchino fans.

As for Theo ... well, many people cannot understand that the White Sox ran off Ozzie Guillen, the only Chicago manager in our lifetime to have won a World Series. But ... his act had worn thin and it was time for a change. I will always love Ozzie for actually bringing Chicago a MLB championship. I hope the people in Boston don't forget what Theo brought them ... twice!

10:16 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

If Theo does some things with the Cubs I will have to somewhat eat crow. I'm telling you Larry ran the ship here. Not Theo...not John Henry...and not the other guy (name escapes me at the moment but he is a goof). I hope he does do something for the Cubs and their poor fans...100 years of nothing but close calls. Don't get me wrong..I think he is a good young exec. in the mold of a Billy Beane (with a shitload more money in both places) but he's really going to have to prove his mettle now....

4:32 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

booo lightbulb!

Sox are in a bad place right now. End of last year sucks.. so now all we can do is cry on our Championship Patriots and Stanley Cup winning Bruins...

We have it tough man, but I think we might survive. Thank you for your concern.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home