Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Updates: The Decision & Poker in Peoria

The Decision ...
Many thanks to the people who gave me food for thought regarding my work situation. Having met several of my blogger friends in person and having several more who I have not yet met but feel like I really know, I do have tremendous respect for the life experiences my friends have brought to the table.

All weekend long was just one big continuing conversation within me, weighing all the things I could, searching out as much information as I could. A common way I try to solve complex issues and problems, perhaps to my detriment, is to put everything into a massive equation and then hope for an adequate answer. I did not make my decision until less than 30 minutes until the deadline. Much to the surprise of my wife and my colleague next door, I declined the nomination to be head of my department. Of course, this puts everyone in my department in uncharted territory.

After speaking with several colleagues today, it appears that our next step, with administrative approval, will be to have facilitated conversations within my department to talk about some relevant issues and hopefully come up with a satisfactory solution. Of course, the administration could just say "tough" and make a decision themselves, but my place of employment usually does not work like that.

Poker Misery
As for poker in Peoria ... I tweeted that I saw some of the worst poker playing that I have seen in the past five years. There were terrible calls and beats, including a peckerhead who busted my Aces by calling off his entire stack to chase his flush draw ... and catching his card on the river, I regret to report. It seems that my run bad streak has started again.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cranky said...

lightning - I wonder if your decision to decline will wake some senior folks up. How can you put someone in place to herd the cats and not compensate them for the extra stress and strain? Is there another person (besides you and the woman who got the "no confidence" vote) that would succeed in the management role?

I don't know if this is exactly comparable, but whenever I had direct reports give their notice, I never gave them a counteroffer to try and keep them on the team. I felt it was a bad precedent for the other team members but more importantly, the person had decided to leave, so they should go on to their new job. After long consideration, you've decided not to take on the role. That's a decision best respected, IMO.

3:45 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Cranky -- we have a few who could fill the role, but there are no takers. The atmosphere is currently kind of toxic.

I hate to say much more in a public forum. At least I am smart enough to not do that. : o )

4:42 PM  
Blogger Bayne_S said...

did the Ace cracker hold "the Spanish Inquisition"?

6:09 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Well, I know it was tough decision for you, I respect that you made the right one. It sounds like a really have bad work situation, I don't know how you can run an enterprise the way they are running it.

Agree with Cranky about not making counter-offers when someone gives notice. Usually a sign of weak management.

Bayne, knowing Lightning,he might have actually been expecting that! So my guess is no, he probably had something almost as bad, like AJ.

6:35 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Damn Rob, you are spot on!

The hand began with his raise in early position with A-J os. I repopped to $50. He called. It gets worse from there.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

Sounds like you were playing in Chester.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Sounds like my poker situation last Saturday. Sat at a $1/2 NL table and saw the worst poker in a long, long time. Proceeded to lose a buyin, aargh.

12:52 AM  
Anonymous bonus poker said...

Yea. been there 2. sometimes u have to loose to win later

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home