Saturday, April 14, 2012

WSOP Main Event Dreams -- The Thing That Started This Blog

A story that was posted today by venerable (or venereal) poker blogger Ken P whisked me out of my dreary rain-soaked central Illinois day and took me back to 2006 -- ahhh, smack in the heyday of online poker. Looking back, I think the term "good old days" would certainly apply.

Poker.com, one of over 30 online poker rooms that got the time and attention of this online poker player, was running a special tournament series for poker bloggers. Why not get in on it, I thought. Thus, Lightning Strikes was born on March 29, 2006. The sole motivation at that time was to qualify for the series. I have always been a practical person.

Fortunately for me, the last qualifying tournament for the grand final was changed so that instead of winning a tournament to get a seat to the final, one only had to make the top ten. I roached to the final table, hitting the rail in eighth place, securing a seat alongside 43 other players vying for a free entry into the WSOP Main Event.

I was pretty excited to actually be playing a freeroll with only 44 players with a $10,000 WSOP Main Event buy in as the top prize. A post dated July 1, 2006 tells the tale of the tournament. This is a screen shot of the results:


Needless to say, I was breathing pretty heavily -- even more heavily than Very Josie when she stands next to me -- when we got down to the final four. As my recap of the tournament alluded to, it was unfortunately a case of "close, but no banana." This was the closest I ever got to actually playing in the Main Event.

I did capture a WSOP $2000 prize package two years later in a freeroll as part of the Battle of the Blogger Tournaments (BBT) 3, however.


The funny part of this win was that it was during the WSOP and I actually had a trip to Las Vegas planned for a few days after the victory. However, that was a special NON-GAMBLING trip that I was taking with my youngest daughter. There was no way no play in a WSOP tournament. I did use the cashish to play in my first official WSOP tournament a year later.

Playing in any WSOP event is sweet. It is so much sweeter when you play there on someone else's dime.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Neophyte said...

Still dreaming of playing in the WSOP some day. Some day..........

9:33 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

The donkathons at the WSOP only cost $1000 -- pretty cheap to play on the big stage. I have played in a few WSOP Circuit Events, but it is not the same as being at the Rio with a few thousand fellow competitors.

10:05 PM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

I keep telling myself that one day I'll play in a couple of small events - I think that "one day" is next year!

Awesome that you got to experience your first for free - but man it pains me to look at that first pic and see you sitting there at 4th - ugh. Pure agony I'm sure.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

These early wins were before my time of following your blog. You were really close to an entry to the big one!!

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home