Saturday, June 09, 2012

Deep Run at AlCantHang's Blogger Tournament on Face Up Gaming

Poker blogging legend Al Cant Hang helped whip up a tournament for bloggers at Face Up Gaming earlier today.There were many familiar faces  -- some good ol' competition against bloggers who were very familiar to me. There were also many unfamiliar players, and that added some uncertainty to the game. The top prize: a poker cruise for two to the Bahamas.

I was able to chip up very early due to some good cards and players who made very bad decisions. I just tried to play fundamental NLHE and then use my stack to keep people out of pots or put them to the test. Things worked out pretty well -- third place out of 144 runners.

I played well enough to win. It just did not work out that way. My big hit at the end came when I ran my suited Ace into Q-Q.
The final standings list of the top end of the finishers shows several familiar blogger names
I was at the final table with Wolfshead, who took a nasty cooler beat when he ran his Q-Q into A-A. Of course, I knew he was doomed because seconds before the fateful hand I got a text message from Very Josie that said "Wolfie's gonna kick your ass." Thank you, VJ! Al Cant Hang made the final table but ended up in 9th place. I missed how he went out. JT88Keys finished 15th. He had a healthy stack stack but was at a different table. I'll have to find out what led him to the rail. heffmike was right behind him in 16th place. Unfortunately for heffmike, my streak of running like God versus him continued today when I woke up with A-K and called his all-in with Q-9.
Other bloggers I had at my table during the tournament included the lovely Joanada,  and good buddies Memphis MOJO and Lucki Duck. And no -- I am not calling either of those guys lovely.
I am a little pressed for time today and need to keep this short, but I encourage people to give Face Up Gaming a try. A really good critique of the poker software was written by heffmike.
I have to finish getting some info to Face Up to get my prize -- a pair of Blue Shark sunglasses. I'll report back on how that whole process went.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

23 Comments:

Anonymous KenP said...

WTG, you keep this up and we'll all start to think you may have a poker clue you didn't buy. But, then I got to thinking. You were only playing against bloggers. Guess that explains it.

Snarkly yours,

Ken P

4:38 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Good job.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Wow! I just found out! Those are the official sun glasses for the WSOP! You are so cool .. as long as you avoid sitting on a Jack Links sausage.

(Go for the ones with the built-in MP3 player. Those really look dorky.)

4:43 PM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

Good job with the deep run, but you suck for not taking it down

4:54 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ Ken P -- there were also league players from Face Up there -- from decent orgs like Ante Up, Pokerati, and PocketFives. So there.

btw -- I'll leave any business dealings with sausages to VJ ...

@ grrouchie -- Yeah, I was also told that I sucked last night from the clown who donked off his stack to me in Omaha on BCP. So there. lol

5:14 PM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

I thought you just crippled him, thought I put the finishing blow to Mike because I know I said sorry to him when he went oot.
Thanks Joe for that kiss of death. BTW Al went out on that nasty beat I took. He shoved with 9-9 and I shoved with Q-Q to isolate. Unfortunately someone woke up to A-A. Went out next hand or so when what I had left didn't even cover my BB. Good game

5:33 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

You are right on heffmike he had like half a blind left. But I took the rest : o P

5:35 PM  
Blogger JT88Keys said...

I went out when I shoved my like 7 or 8 big blind stack with QJ suited in late-ish position and got called by J8 off. Flop had a Jack and an 8, so GG JT. I thought the feature that allowed you to live cam and live chat was pretty cool. It was interesting to get to see and hear you and Wolfshead chatting it up. It almost made me want to go get on my desktop so I could join the fun, but I was too comfy in the man cave on my laptop that doesn't have a camera.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

JT, if I hadn't picked up the new computer I wouldn't have had the camera either. My netbook had one but my daughter or her friend left it lying around and it got sat on and screen cracked. i like that features and hopefully maybe we get more blogger games that we can take advantage of it

11:19 PM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

hey light, heard you are getting an I-pad also. Nice

10:09 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I am asking Al about that. He might be mistaken based on what he wrote in his previous post.

10:18 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Just got an email from Face Up -- looks like I do get an ipad. Yea! Of course, a luddite like me will probably let my family fight over it.

10:23 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

I knew I forgot to do something this weekend...nice run....

11:59 AM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

You can send it to me. I'm not a particular fan of Apple stuff but if it's free ...

Still won't let me comment. Keeps saying Comment field can not be blank, whether I'mlogged in or not

1:04 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Sounds like a fun blogger's tournament. Sorry I couldn't make it.

Oh wait, actually I could have made, if I'd only known about it. Yeah, that was the problem.

I'm not upset that no one invited me or told me about this event. Not at all. I didn't want that poker cruise to the Bahamas, which of course, I would have won easily if I had only played in the tournament. No, not at all.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

Het Rob, Al's back to posting. He's a must read, especially for tourney info.

Light, if you can put a comment on Al and ask him if there is a reason I'm locked out. Wanna ask him if/when there will be another Bash. It was his last one that got me in to blogging poker and probably caused my stroke.

1:58 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@Rob Actually I did include information about BBT6 in my post of May 22. The link was right in the post.

@Wolfie I'll post another comment on Al's blog sometime tonight after work.

3:04 PM  
Blogger David Westbay said...

Congrats on the deep finish! I couldn't play or I would have given you a run for it. Maybe next time.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Damn. I would have to put my bitching comment on the one guy's blog who actually DID talk about the tournament. My luck sucks.

I was in Vegas for your post that mentioned it, and sometimes I miss posts then because of I spend too much time stalking hookers, I mean, playing poker.

12:57 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I also put the dates, place, time, etc on my blog.. I believe Rob has read it since he comments on it ALL THE TIME.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

Light,

What's going on? My blog roll and VJ's show a new post but it ain't showing on your blog and clicking on the link says page doesn't exist

1:46 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ Wolfie: I tried to put up a post before but Blogger or my puter was screwing up. It didn't post properly so I deleted it.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Waffles, I do comment on your blog all the time but don't assume that means I actually read it! :)

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home