Saturday, July 14, 2012

Classmates

Have any of my readers ever paid to see who signed your guestbook at Classmates -- which I believe used to be called classmates.com? I could be wrong on that, though.

I put my information up a few years ago but never subscribed to the services. However, every so often I receive a teaser email letting me know that some people have signed my guestbook. Of course, the names are always blurred to further entice you to pay to see who signed.

This also may be faulty memory, but wasn't this organization part of a class action lawsuit for some type of deceptive practice?

Anyway, a person can now subscribe for as low as $7.50 for three months access. The money is virtually nothing, but the whole principle of the thing has always sort of bugged me. Of course, in my fantasy world I am imagining that a bunch of former dates and/or high school hotties are all wanting to find out about me. The reality might be more than I can handle ...

8 Comments:

Blogger KenP said...

There were 99 in my graduating class. With our 50th Anniversary well in the rear view, think I'd qualify for a big discount? They started croaking a year after we graduated.

I have decided I have figured out what that noise is. It your clumsy clodhoppers trying to keep time to imaginary, dooby inspired music. Might need to throw in a bit of "Night of the Living Dead" staggering.

Toe, heel, step, step.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

P.S. Can't you put your school/year in your facebook data? Those who aren't smart enough to find you have to be the guys whose thrill was to write stuff on the stall walls.

Sparky, I'm certain you really are so lame as to think about forking out $30/yr to see if somebody "likes" you.

10:23 AM  
Blogger KenP said...

change are to aren't there near the end. my bad

10:24 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Ken -- I would just do the three months then out. It is only $7.50, but it just irks me to pay anything for this. But dang -- I am curious.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

It's a scam. I remember checking the site out years ago, even signing up for free, to checkout my classsmates. Must have fallen asleep thru 4 years of high school as there were a number of women listed as being in my class that I didn't remember, especially as I went to an all guys school.

10:58 AM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

Yeah, this is what facebook is for...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Vegas Linda Lou said...

I think I signed up for Classmates.com years ago before Facebook was invented. What a bust. It's amazing that they still hound me; the only people who'd be signing my guestbook are the ones who just emerged from a 6-year coma.

7:23 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Yeah -- I am kind of surprised that anyone might still go to that site. I guess that is why I could now check it out for $7.50. I've kept my resolve so far. And really ... I guess that anyone could find me via facebook if they really wanted to.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home