Thursday, July 12, 2012

Family Mini-Vacation Photo Dump


One of the must-see places in Cincinnati, especially if you are a foodie, is Jungle Jim's International Market. Great selection of unique food from around the world. Where else can you buy stuff like gator jerky and ostrich eggs?


A trip to Blue Ash Chili was also in order. We had seen it featured on the Guy Fieri show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.


The headliner: Six Way Chili. Take the chili above (spaghetti, chili, onions, beans, cheese) and add deep-fried jalapeno caps.


A trip to King's Island was a focal point of the trip. Hmmm ... which blogger(s) came to mind when I saw this?


Gotta play the carnival games at any amusement park. I believe this guy once played for the Chicago Bulls.


Getting ready to ride the WindSeeker with my son. It was not really scary, but it is a ride you would not want to be on if you have a fear of heights.


You go up over 300 feet. Heck of a view of the park and the area in general.


A happy family having a great day at the park. No fighting, no arguing ... whose family was that anyway?

9 Comments:

Blogger crafty said...

Looks like y'all had a great time.

BUT...

This "Blue Ash Diner" is a FRAUD. The "six-way chili" they're hawking is in fact better known to Ohioans (and we adopted Ohioans) as "Skyline Chili," after the company to introduce its sublime concoction to Cincinnatians and to the world. Look it up, and speak of Skyline Chili with a civil tongue in your head. Civil and well-satisfied tongue, if you eat it.

I miss Skyline Chili...can you tell?

2:29 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Oh gawd Gary, I can't believe you like that ... crap! Yes -- we tried Skyline Chili on a previous trip to Cincinnati. Yuck! I don't get the whole fascination with that type of chili (or "chilli" as we spelled it in Springfield, IL). Bland, bland, bland. Give me some spicy chili any old day -- with onions, green peppers, jalapenos, cheese, ...

The Blue Ash Chili had at least a little taste to it, but the jalapeno caps made it much better. That and some hot sauce, of course.

Actually, the rest of the food at Blue Ash was supurb. Pulled pork sandwich, fish sandwich, bacon cheeseburger, fried pickles, cole slaw, gravy cheese fries, onion rings ...

I would love to eat there again, but I would pass on the Cincinnati chili.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Remove the offends Eiffel tower pic!
Great photos esp the last one.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Great photos - thx for sharing.

10:26 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

Initial thought was, "so you vacationed in the liquor aisle..." :) Yep, great shots!

10:48 PM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

Spfld chili? Ever eat Denny's Den Firebrand? Lame excuse for chili (or chilli) just to get your name on the wall. (I ate mine and my wife's just to show that I could.) How about Ray's in the can? Not bad. But man, just looking at the picture you posted made my LDL go up a couple points...

Thanks for sharing the photos.

12:34 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ ~Coach -- the beer selection was fantastic. I am not much of a drinker so I contained myself.

@ bastinptc -- I was not into hot chilli at that time and never tried the Den's Firebrand. You ate two helpings? Wow! I actually preferred the Dew Chilli Parlor's (around 4th and So Grand, I think). Ray's seems bland to me. For canned chili, I prefer Chili Man. For fast food chili, Wendy's is my favorite.

10:16 AM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

I had Dew's as a kid. Chili Man is good as well.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Carmel said...

That's a fine looking family you have there. Congrats!

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home