Saturday, August 25, 2012

An Evening With Gotye - Quick Report

I've mentioned him a few times in previous posts -- Gotye. He is known throughout the world largely for this song:


To my brother, the King of Komps, he is known as Wally De Backer, one of the students he taught many moons ago in Australia. With this connection, a plan was made to see Gotye in concert in Chicago. I took the afternoon off on Friday, and with my oldest daughter and my son, headed north. After picking up my brother, we headed toward the Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island. First stop: the Will Call office, where comp tickets and these were waiting for us:


It was a great Chicago summer evening -- mild with a nice breeze coming in from Lake Michigan. A perfect night for an outdoor concert.


The first act, Jonti, was really liked by my son, who has an eclectic taste in music. How best to describe Jonti's music -- electronic experimental? After Jonti, Missy Higgins, an Australian pop singer with a wonderful voice, sang a solid set and had the crowd warmed up for the main act.

How to describe a Gotye concert? How about FANTASTIC -- a great mixture of music, art, and excitement. Gotye played a 90-minute set that seemed to be enjoyed by all.

After the concert, my son, daughter, and I got to meet Wally, a genuinely humble and nice person. Adding to the fun was that Wally's bass player, Lucas, was also taught by my brother. The Australian educational system somehow survived!




After a fun-filled evening, we got my car from the now-deserted parking lot and drove out to the western suburbs to drop off my brother. A tired drive home ended the night in the wee hours of the morning -- a great night with family, music, and some new friends.

11 Comments:

Blogger grrouchie said...

Sounds like quite the fun evening!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brother of yours sounds like a really great guy. He must have been a remarkable teacher.

1:06 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

You didn't tell the poor lad he's a monotone, did you?

Your bro seems the handsome one. Credit may go to his barber.

I bet you were best at Space Invaders. :)

So, when are you bringing him along to the Shoe? The amount of dirt he could disclose might even get Josie to fly in. If he comes, I'll comp him some of my smoked pork loin and even show up.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

King of Komps is CUTE!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

And king of komps is obv the YOUNGER brother.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josie <3 in a big way!

11:28 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Uhh ... VJ probably thinks that Lucas is my brother ... lol.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut up, you!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

I was referring to the hottie in the checked shirt with the nice smile.

7:11 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

So this is your payback, huh Josie? WHORE!

7:38 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Would you two get a room? ROFL

9/2 Reports are in. Sparky (Champaign-Urbana) is all wet. (Isaac)

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home