Friday, September 14, 2012

Not Indestructible

Sometimes we think we are indestructible, particularly when we are young.

The first time I remember having the crap scared out of me was during the college years. I was driving on a hilly two lane state highway and had the world's slowest driver in front of me. Well -- at least he wasn't going nearly as fast as I wanted to go. I had a chance to pass him in a no passing zone and thought I was okay -- except for this one little blind spot. The only trouble I would be in was if a car coming toward me was in the precise wrong spot. I thought I'd risk it. As I tried to pass the car in front of me, I found myself heading straight toward a head-on collision. There was a car in the exact wrong spot. I was able to swerve out of the way, but felt like that was the first time I had ever stared right in the face of death.

Then there was the time I fell asleep heading north to see my mom. I had been working too much and dozed off while driving. I woke up driving off the road and into a ditch. God was looking out for me that afternoon and thankfully nothing had been in my way.

There had been a few other instances where fast driving had put me at risk, but when we are young -- what the hell -- we are indestructible, right?

It changes when we get older.

One year ago I had a mild heart attack. It was all my own fault -- lack of exercise, eating and drinking way too much of things that were bad for me, ignoring all the signs that I was putting myself at risk. I got the message. Loud and clear.

Tonight I celebrated by going to the fitness center. Thankfully life has gone on and I have gotten at least a little bit smarter. Older and wiser, I guess ...

7 Comments:

Blogger ~Coach said...

Amen...

12:02 AM  
Blogger Carmel said...

Glad you're alive and well !

7:23 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I fell asleep at the wheel once. Most scary thing I've ever been involved in.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Vegas Linda Lou said...

That's the beauty of aging, no? We get smarter the older we get. (And better looking. Here's to your continued good health!

P.S. I, too, fell asleep at the wheel once. Fortunately, I felt the car swerve before it was too late. THAT wakes you up!

12:35 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I am really proud of you old guy.

12:18 PM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

...and still a Bears fan? You think you would go with a team that would make you less anxious...like the Lions perhaps.....ummmmm...nah...forget about it....

12:39 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

I'm glad you've made the change. Welcome to the next year!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home