Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday Success

Years ago I used to love shopping on Black Friday -- long before I ever remember it being called that. The whole routine of scouting out sales, waking up early, and buying gifts at a tremendous reduction in price was intoxicating. However, as more and more people started taking part in the Black Friday routine, it became much less fun. Bigger crowds. More anger and discontent. More corporate bullshit.

I am pleased, however, to give my Black Friday report for 2012.

Thursday, Nov 22: Ordered gift online from Amazon. Ordered items online from Sears.Went to Kohl's at midnight that night to hit their opening specials. Got stuff and got out. Total time from leaving my car to getting back in car: 21 minutes.

Friday, Nov 23: Sacked out and then woke up early. Decided that shopping at 4:30 am couldn't be too bad. Went into the Evil Kingdom (Best Buy) and back to Kohl's. Invested maybe one hour in the stores and bought several items from Best Buy, one from Kohl's. Went to Sears later that afternoon to pick up things ordered online.

That was it: little time spent shopping, little time dealing with crowds, ratio of items bought to time invested was excellent. Not bad for Black Friday.

4 Comments:

Blogger grrouchie said...

I went to Walmart to pick some stuff up on Turkey day - I went to best buy today (Black Friday) and bought random crap from work (Lowe's) today - did not spend a total of 30 minutes in the 3 stores combined buying stuff.
Success!

1:41 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

We grow too soon old and too late schmart.

You show substantial improvement though.

My preferred Christmas shopping date was always Christmas eve. The lack of selection made it so easy and I'd have the stores to myself.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

If it's not online, I don't buy it. Your experience does sound fairly painless, however.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Cranky said...

We buy very few presents nowadays so our shopping can take place anytime. Like Memphis Mojo, most of it is done online.

When I read that you hit Kohl's at midnight, I tried to imagine myself doing the same. It'd never happen! I'm an early to bed and relatively early to rise kind of gal.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home