Monday, November 05, 2012

Things Can Change in an Instant

I had just completed my workout at the fitness center and got home right at about dinner time. There were no plans for dinner that evening and a night out to see a movie was planned, so I made a quick trip out to pick up a pizza at a local joint.

The first stoplight I came upon was red, so I turned right and took an alternate route in an effort to get to the pizza place faster. As I came upon stoplight number two I noticed that I would get to the intersection just after the light would turn green. What happened next scared the heck out of me.

As the light turned green and I began making my left turn, I saw a blur to my right out of the corner of my eye. Someone who was way too late to catch her green light decided to step on the gas and bull through the intersection. She was greatly exceeding the posted speed limit and nearly hit me. As she zipped past I layed on my horn. My heart raced as I realized how close I had come to having my car totaled and likely having major damage to my body. And it all happened in an instant.

I have had a couple life changing experiences in the past three years. My son's diagnosis of a rare form of cancer. My mild heart attack. I have a feeling that I have a new event to add to the list.

Thank goodness we are in November, for October seemed to be a cruel month, as I have posted about previously. One person I know is recovering from an accident. Another is recovering from a stroke. Another won't recover as she took her own life.

Since the near accident this weekend, more than anything, I have been fixated on the fragile nature of life. Things can go well or be trouble free for years, yet when the magic moment comes everything is up for grabs. All the more reason to live your life in a way of which you can be proud, treat people the way you would like to be treated, and make your life the way you want it to be. You just never know when the moment could come that could change everything ... in an instant.

8 Comments:

Blogger DuggleBogey said...

I agree, but people seem to think that the thing that changes your life in an instant can only be a bad thing. Something can happen in an instant that makes your life incredibly better too. You are just a lot less likely to realize it at that moment.

1:04 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I dream of winning a multi-million dollar lottery, which would not be too shabby ...

1:37 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

You have to keep your head on a swivel with the college kids here - so happy that you saw the blur...

2:19 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Hey, give her a break.

She was talking on her cell phone and didn't notice you. Be more noticeable.

The lack of attention while driving has become epidemic. All we can say is you lucked out. Not really a resolution or reasonable solution.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Oh, change that ad copy to ...bearATnetscape...

That much spam is going to raise your cholesterol to dangerous levels.

2:24 PM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

Life can change in an instant so make the most of it while it's here and enjoy it.
Don't fret over the negatives and just focus on those you love and what you love and in the end it will have all been worth something

4:18 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

We take it all for granted, don't we.

8:03 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

glad you are not a paste smear on the road somewhere.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home