Friday, April 05, 2013

It's a Dog's Life?


Ginger, one of our family pets, is about 11 years old. Ever since she had some medical problems at age two, we have been buying special prescription dog food for her. As you might guess, it is not cheap. Ginger has been a fantastic dog all these years (fortunately for her -- and for us!), and although her medical issues have cost us plenty, she is still a regular and precious part of the family. I dread the day when her age and illnesses catch up with her.

So yesterday I was given the task to pick up her prescription dog food from the vet's office after work. I went there and was told "Oh -- I'm sorry. I thought your wife said she wanted the I/D food, not the L/D food (different food for different diseases)." I can order it on Tuesday and it should be in on Wednesday.

I called my wife to inform her that the food would not be in for almost a week. What would she like me to do -- do pick up a small bag of regular food for the next week? She answered that we could just feed her cat food -- which she loves -- for the next week. Not wanting to have my dog start hissing or jumping up on top of the couch, I opted to go to the local grocery store and buy some inexpensive dog food. Seeing a big bag on sale for $5.99, I felt pretty good ... until I went to the self check out station. It rung up the regular price. I hailed the worker overseeing the self check out lanes, who then called another worker to check the price of the dog food. Sheesh. I told her to make sure she checked the price of the "golden nuggets." The worker left for the dog food section of the store as I waited ................................................... Finally she came back and said "the UPC numbers don't match." Well, the genius didn't bring back the shelf listing for "golden nuggets," she brought back the listing for "mini nuggets." I pointed that out to her, and in a manner with which I was not exactly fine, she said "Well, we'll give it to you for $5.99."

Huh? Give it to me? Like somehow I screwed up and they were giving me a break? Like I was the idiot who put the wrong price in the computer system or I was the one one brought back the UPC numbers for the wrong product?

So a third worker comes to change the price in the self register. Unfortunately, he does not know how to do it, so he asks the worker overseeing the check out lanes to come back to assist him. I finally get out of the store and head home. Heck of a way to start the evening after a long day at work.

I got home, grouchy guy that I then was, and saw Ginger wagging her tail. She knows that I am an easy mark for her getting a treat. However, I assert that she should have to work for her treats, which usually means that I make her sing. And I don't mean just a second or two of singing -- practically a regular aria for me! Being the good (and wise!) dog that she is, Ginger sang her heart out and was rewarded with one of her favorite things in life: a piece of salami.

It's a dog's life? Sometimes I wonder ...

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about "singing for salami" . . .

12:31 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

See, those grocery store stories are catchy, aren't they? ;) Sorry about your experience - Ugghhh...

2:21 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Well at least they made good on the price.

Ginger was the name of one our three dogs when I was a kid. Brings back nice memories. Thanks.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous The Chaperone said...

Hi Lightning. Can't figure out how to write on your wall at rtp and I know PMs are turned off there for most. I travel for gambling stuff most of the time, mostly in the southwest. I go to Vegas about once a month, but I don't live there. So let me know next time you go and maybe if I'm around we can meet up. If you want to keep in touch try thechaperone21@hotmail.com .

-Chap

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home