Monday, August 26, 2013

Guest Post By Very Josie: WSOP Circuit Event at Foxwoods & Cash Games Fun

Her last blog post was over ten months ago, leaving a virtual trail of men nursing a broken heart. But now ... courtesy of Lightning Strikes, Very Josie is back! Tonight's post  is written by VJ herself, giving you the story of her recent weekend at Foxwoods.

Happy reading!


I played in a WSOP Circuit Event at Foxwoods last week.
It was the second to last event of the series so there were no second chances or do overs, and clearly, I could've used one. I was bulldozing my way through the tournament as I usually do. Within the first hour I was the chip leader at my table and after a few hours I was in the top ten and stayed there....until I went busto on one hand. Yep you read that right. I'll tell you the story quick, because it pisses me off to tell it. Grrr
I'd had a table change and found myself at a table with a bigger stack. At this point, my usual MO is to avoid such a stack as it was the only stack at the table that could felt me. Besides, I like to bully, so I always focus my attention to the weak. Anyhoo....I got 10-10. I'm the first to admit I overbet with med pocket pairs and this was no different. With a pair of tens, I always consider it a win to pick up the considerable blinds and antes. Overbet or not, while the blinds were 500-1000, I raised to 5,000 pre, and got one caller.
Flop: 10-2-2
BINGO! I bet a modest 6K and he calls. Yay! Fishie on the line!

Turn brings an 8. Time to use the big guns and take this fucker down. I bet about 28K. He thinks a while and calls. At this point, although I have more of my money IN the pot, than in front of me, I'm still feeling pretty good about my flopped full house.

River is a Q
There's only one more and that is all in. He calls! I'm thrilled!
And then he flips over Q-Q for a rivered full house. Freaking d-bag. I was shocked. Speechless and breathless also come to mind, yet I had to move (read get the fuck out) as I was just felted. GG Very Josie.
It took a while before I was able to play again. I took a looooong break, had dinner, had a trio of different sangrias,

then when I was feeling good, went to the cash game to get my money back. And I did. And then some. :) I played 1/2 NL, won a couple buyins, moved over to 2/5 NL, won a buy in there, and then went to bed. Got up, checked out and hit the poker room for one more cash session. It's that very last cash session that was the most interesting, so we'll skip to that. Besides, this post is getting long enough to rival Rob The Tit Guy's posts and I still have more to tell.
So the plan was to hit that final cash game for an hour or two max. I'd already won more than double what I'd lost at the circuit event tournament, so I sat down with $160, instead of my usual $200. I was sitting in the one seat next to the dealer, which was very enjoyable. I probably had about 4 different dealers in that session but my favorite was an older Asian man, and I should be so bold as to say that I too was his favorite....but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Sitting in the one seat....youngish, fratboyish kinda guy is sitting in the 2 seat, sambuca guy is in 3 seat, a friend of mine in 4....fratboy's friends were in 6 and 9. Very young, very good player in 5....let's call him Baby Boy, and Sunglasses was in 7 or 8.
Poor Sunglasses! First of all, he really sucked at poker. He played way too many hands and quite badly, he got lucky before I got there so he had a lot of money in front of him (heard about it ad nauseum) and he was to my right. I watched him play badly for a bit and decided I was going to be in as many pots with him as I could. In cash, I like to wait and watch before making my presence known. So I watched about 10 hands played before I had J-J. There were a few limpers, including Sunglasses, but Mama doesn't fuck around in a cash game. I raised it up to $15 and watched everyone fold but Sunglasses. Flop was 7 high and HE bet out. :) Nice. I raised him $30 more and he called. He checked the turn and I bet a bit more. He bet out on the river, which was a 6. Fuck. Did he call all those bets with a middle pair? I called him and he had ace high. Seriously. WTF. Yay me!
Then I played J-10, which everyone knows is the nuts. :) Flop was J-10-X. Sunglasses and I went at it down to the river and I won again. As I said, the more he played, so did I. It was awesome. I left him severely short stacked and Fratboy ended up taking him out when Sunglasses jammed all in preflop with K-K. At this point everyone knew J-10 was my favorite hand and Fratboy felted him with it. Ugly.

After that the Baby Boy, who was an excellent player, took down a pot of mine where I had 2 pair and he hit a flush on the river. Grrr I looked him in the eye and said, I will get all my money back, plus more. I did! He finally said "Stop it! You got your money back!" All the while Frat Boy and I were buds...high fiving and whatnot. I took a bit of his money but also had to fold pots to him where he bet out and I didn't connect with the flop. Nothing wrong with that until.....My friend in the 4 seat told me something. I went to pee (I'd been having cappuccinos but Sambuca Guy suggest some Buca to sip on, and who was I to disagree). Friend said that whenever I looked at my hole cards Frat Boy, who was sitting kinda behind me cuz his chair was pulled out was cheating and looking at my cards.
I WAS FURIOUS! That motherfucker being all buddy, buddy. First I tried an experiment. I got back to the table, lifted my hole cards and turned lickety-split to my left and sure enough he was craning his neck to get a look. I didn't say a word about it, but also, the buddy buddy shiat stopped. I kept playing, steadily increasing my stack until I had over $600 in front of me. The Asian dealer dealt me 5 winning hands in a row. I'd tip him, thank him and he's say "No, Thank YOU!". Finally, I had to toss J-7 off suit because someone raised to $16 pre. I was sad but tossed it to end my streak but the old guy took a peek. Flop was 7-7-X. Of course I couldn't call that raise pre, but still, one should ride the wave when one is on a roll. Afterwards the old Asian man said "Missy, you are hot." I batted my eyelashes and said "Are you flirting with me?" and gave him another buck just for the heck of it. He started stammering and someone at the table agreed that I was hot. LOL

However, there was still douchebaggy frat boy to deal with. You should know that I *never* slow play, especially in a cash game, but this time I did. I had A-2 sooted hearts and limped in. Frat boy came in raising and just because I was pissed off, I called. We were heads up and flop was 2-2-X. I immediately checked and he bets. Cue the bad acting....I hem and haw and finally call. Turn was some spade that put 2 spades on the board. I think, motion to my chips, then smile and check. He makes a bet of about $40. I groan but really, I'm thrilled. I *think* a bit, toy with my chips and say "Fuck it, I call. One card dealer, just this once!". River is a complete miss. I look crestfallen and check. What I didn't expect was for him to go all in. I instacalled! He looked like he got kicked in the nuts, which would've been almost as good. He didn't want to show his hand, but I did pay for the show so he did. He had a pair, a middle pair. He also had a huge stack in front of him, and it had to be shifted in its entirety to me. Yummy. His buddies kept busting his balls about it too, which I loved. About 15 minutes later I got a couple of racks and racked up, much to the groans of my opponents. :) Great way to end the trip, even though it didn't start so well.
Play smart.
Josie



Addendum just for Rob:

32 Comments:

Blogger Rakewell said...

Josie, if you're holding your cards so that somebody else can see them, it's not "cheating" (your word) for him to look. It's shady and slimy, but it's not cheating. You should always assume that everybody at the table and everybody walking behind you is desperately trying to see your cards, and check them in a way that foils such lookie-lous. If it's a habit that you do it that way every time, forever, then you never have to wonder or worry whether you have such a person seated next to you.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

@rakewell: VJ is used to other (male) players trying to look at, um, at something else! They don't care about her hole cards.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am calling bs on this whole session trip report...

11:45 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

Josie!!! :D Nice comeback...

11:58 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Oh wow, this is a fine how-do-you-do.

Josie decides after 10 long months of silence to do a blog post about a winning poker session. But where to post it?

I guess she ruled out posting it on her OWN (now dormant) blog, feeling that would just be a tease to her long time readers, giving them all the false hope that she would resume regular blogging again.

And we know that Josie would never want to be a tease. Yeah, right!

How about her bestest pal Gary, aka The Crafty Southpaw. Although he too announced he was stopping blogging, he does blog from time to time, so I'm sure he would have been willing to post her story. But no, not Gary.

What about her pal, Poker Grump? True, he too now blogs only minimally but I'm sure he would have been willing to post it. But no, not Grump.

And then of course there's the blog of all blogs, TBC's blog. She's already an administrator there, so it would be super easy for her to post it there, in between Tony's own posts that she now will be doing by dictation. But not Tony, either.

And of course, I rule myself out right away. After all, the two pics of VJ that accompany this post--you know, the pics showing Josie's AMPLE CLEAVAGE--would make it impossible for me to post. Gratuitous cleavage pics have no place on MY blog. My serious poker blog. There's no room for boobs there.

But really, I do appreciate the link and the cheap-shot. It's nice to know that you're still thinking about me, Josie. I still do remember our tryst in the middle of the Mirage Poker Room.

So...Lightning? Really? The guy you always refer to as "Lightbulb"? He's the guy you pick to post your story?

Go figure.

Anyway, great to read your stuff again, VJ, I missed it. And congrats on the nice run. And it was great that you got revenge on the cad who was more interested in looking at your cards than your.....well, you know.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

@Grumpy, I agree that it's my responsibility to keep my hand protected. However, when he's trying to cheat, he's cheating. Yes, it's slimy and shady and yes, it's cheating. Normally, I always do protect my cards. In ths instance, I had a cappucino when the waitress brought me a shot of sambuca. I didn't want to shoot it back so I was sipping it and my cup holder had my cappucino in it. Therefore, I had the buca in one hand and was looking at my hole cards with the other....and that's when the opportunity arose for him to CHEAT. :)

Hi Mojo! xoxo

Anony, yes, I made the whole thing up. I've never even been to Foxwoods. :P

@Rob, I didn't give where to post nearly as much thought as you did. All the places you mention are fine spots to guest post. I was itching to tell the story about felting that FratBoyBastard and mentioned it to Lightning and boom! :) Besides, I have a soft spot for that old rat bastard Lightning. Only cuz he looks like Russell Crowe.

@KenP Takes one to know one, Biatch! xoxo

7:39 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@Rob -- take your choice:

1) Josie decided to make her one-time (?) return on the best poker blog

2) As with scores of women throughout the civilized (and uncivilized) world, VJ has "seen the light"

8:36 AM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

FINALLY! Some quality content on this site!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

Hmmm maybe I should be a roving guest poster. Next time I play poker, I'll spin the wheel and see who gets to post it for me.

@PPP, I hear you brother!

9:12 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@VJ -- Glad to see you are living up to your reputation.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

@lightning, Whore!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

@Thundering, Wishing the happiest of birthdays to the handsomer brother! xoxo

9:34 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

@Lightning: How is it, living in that fantasy world you inhabit?

@VJ: That does sound like an interesting concept, Rotating Josie!

10:30 AM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

Oh, Josie... true, but I blush. Thanks. And I do like the description of my brother as "that old rat bastard". You know him. You know him soooooo well!

I would have gladly "shouted"(Aussie term) you a meal at Gordon Ramsay Steak on my birthday instead of Tony. Well, maybe not...

12:23 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Whaddaya mean, "maybe not"? Hmpfh

2:19 PM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

Whore!



lightning said that I should post that.

3:16 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

Answer anonymous but blow me off - hmmm...

4:15 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

^ :P ^

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol I'm sorry Coach. I blame the oversight on the mile long comment by Rob that was next to yours.

Tyvm for the nice words! I think I'm very rusty in the writing department. I would've told that story much better when I was writing every day.

Ty my dear. Xoxo

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thunder you biatch. You're listening to him? Listen to Auntie Josie! I was just texting him that you were a saint. He replied "no freaking way. I'm the saint in the family."

TYIA for my steak dinner. :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger ManInBlack said...

Welcome back Josie. You have been missed

11:46 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Ty! Watch out! Lightning is coming your. Way!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

@Josie, I knew you'd get around to commenting on how long my comment was! It was a hanging curve for you.

@Lightning, where did you get those buttons? Did you have them made up yourself?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Cranky said...

Josie - glad to read your post. Nice wins.

Are you dipping the toes back in to see how it might feel to start up blogging again?

8:58 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@Rob -- Lightning Love is the name of an indie band

10:17 AM  
Blogger ManInBlack said...

Josie- I am ready for him. Now we just need to get you out here

11:02 AM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

Hey Josie, you can always join us in Vegas. There's a SW flight from Logan that leaves Sunday at 8am and gets in at 12:55pm and a return flight Tuesday(my birthday) that leaves at 1:55pm(late enough for a breakfast lunch) and gets in at 12:10am Wed - $448. I'm sure that you can talk your way into getting Tuesday off. lightning will pay for the flights out of his usual Vegas winnings. Beef Wellington at Steak on Monday evening sounds really good, doesn't it?

11:54 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

Cranky Baby! TY for the comment. Probably not, unless I have something great to write about.

Rob, yes, thank you for setting it up for me.

Lightning, Whore! ;)

11:57 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

"lightning will pay for the flights out of his usual Vegas winnings."

I do not recall mentioning that I would use my sockroll to pay for anything more than maybe a double double at In N Out.

12:36 PM  
Blogger norm said...

Great read on Josie-"bustin' ba***"
Thanks for the blog by VJ.

12:45 PM  
Blogger ManInBlack said...

Don't forget gorilla style on that Double DOuble

9:03 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Ahhhh ... obviously MIB has been to In N Out with me before. : o )

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home