Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Murder always seemed to be something just on television when I was young

You know, the great crime and detective shows where someone would be killed, and either the police or a hero lawyer would somehow get to the bottom of things and justice would be served. In real life it is no such way.

Long-time readers of this blog might remember that I grew up with a serial killer and went to college with another.  Still, I knew none of the victims, therefore these guys were more or less abstract killers in my mind.

This changed when I was in my first professional job. I student whom I knew and befriended was murdered in a cheap robbery. I later became tight with her brother and saw the agony that he had gone through with the trial of the killer.

Six years ago while just nosing through the internet and looking up former neighbors, I found that one who moved away many years ago had just been murdered in a senseless robbery. In my mind he was just the guy who lived next door, practicing pitching his awesome sinker in the backyard and doing a terrible job of singing the Sgt Pepper album when it first came out.

In my current job, I found that one of my colleagues had a sister who was stalked and murdered by a former boyfriend. Years later, the pain still endures for her. Now I find that the cousin and frequent guest of our former neighbors was senselessly killed by a couple of carnies in to work a festival last weekend.

Sometimes, despite how nice our lives might be, we peek outside our bubble of comfort and see that there is still evil in the world. Life in the bubble is much more comforting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lester said...

Of all my canned and practiced wisecracks for my high school reunion a couple of weeks ago I had to scratch the "how hard is it to not raise a kid who is not an axe murderer?" wisecrack since one classmate's son had a beef with another member of the band he was in about how was the real boyfriend of the female vocalist and ummmm he thumped him with an axe.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Last post was about being with TBC. This is about murder. Tony's all right, isn't he? Why do I sense some kind of continuity?

2:50 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

did u go to school in gainesville? creepy.time to take down the amber alert and call the milk company to get yr face off those cartons of milk.u still in vegas?

6:54 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Nope -- left Las Vegas on Friday after getting TBC a cheeseburger for the right price. : o )

7:07 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

sweet cheeseburger sounds great right now.lol.any fries? what is right price? dollar menu? did u play alot of poker and where did u celebrate brother BDAY at?

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home