Friday, September 20, 2013

To Concert or Not to Concert?

Almost three weeks ago in Las Vegas, I was considering going to see Black Sabbath my first night in town. Or ... in a funny twist, the alternative could have been seeing ... Air Supply! If you are too young to appreciate what I just wrote, the rest of this post will mean little to you.

On Saturday night, barring any emergency, I am going to see Bachman & Turner. Back in the 1970's, I was a HUGE Bachman-Turner Overdrive fan. However, I missed seeing BTO in about 1975 when they were at a venue a few miles away from my home. I planned on seeing them in 1986 when they were opening for the Van Halen 5150 tour, but got into the area just in time to hear the last chord of their final song. I heard a virtually no-originals version of the band in 1988, but a few years later I did catch the band in a free show.

So ... this is really a night to bring back old memories.


Next weekend, another classic band will be playing in the area ... Cheap Trick!


I have seen Cheap Trick many times over the years, most recently last December in Las Vegas as the opening act for Aerosmith.

In case I am MIA over the next ten days, try looking for me in the 1970's.

12 Comments:

Blogger JT88Keys said...

I saw BTO open for Van Halen in the 5150 tour back in 1986. I was 19 at the time and most of my friends were all, "Bachman Turner who?" I grew up with older siblings, so I at least knew their well known songs and thought they represented themselves well at the show. (At least I think they did. I was pretty drunk during most of it.)

6:35 AM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

I'm all out of love . . . For Air Supply . . .

7:31 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

I can't wrap my head around being confused on whether to see Black Sabbath or Air Supply. Tony Iommi is fighting cancer and that may have been your last chance to see one of the greatest bands ever. Fucking Air Supply??? LOL

9:05 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

That was a level, Dave.

btw -- No way would I put Black Sabbath on my list of "greatest bands evah."

10:48 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I saw BTO open for Linda Rondstadt (true!!) in Knoxville TN in 1975ish. Love their music.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

I actually think I've seen Air Supply. Pretty sure my parents dragged me out to one of their shows when I was a kid. Although, frankly, it's hazy. I may have blocked the memory out. Or it may have just been a bad dream.

I definitely did see Kenny G at Jones beach Theater, though.

1:39 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

r u talking about black sabbath with ozzy? do u still have 8 tracks?

1:42 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

is abba still kicking it?

3:30 PM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

Lucky dog! Enjoy the concert(s).

9:57 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

FREE BIRD.

10:21 PM  
Blogger balt999 said...

Wouldn't have mind checking out Cheap Trick

1:05 AM  
Blogger Iron Mike Sharpe said...

Takin care of business!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home