Monday, October 14, 2013

Meeting a Fellow Blogger In Person Is Always a Good Thing

Today really started out like a day straight from hell. Some work issues and other concerns had been bothering me lately, and the past several nights I had woken up way too early and had difficulty falling back to sleep. Needless to say, I did not have an ideal start to the work week.

My brother, the King of Komps, was scheduled for a medical procedure to start the day, and he was a little worried. I tried calling my sister to get an update, but as you might know, sometimes cell phones just don't function well in hospitals. I had at 8:00 a.m. meeting that had been scheduled last Friday at the end of the work day. Me -- at 8 a.m.? Without a cup of coffee? Ha!

I had a crucial meeting scheduled a bit later in the morning, then received a call from my youngest daughter, who was feeling ill at school. She would just have to hang in there if she could. Immediately after the second meeting, I had an emergency meeting scheduled with a student, a parent and an administrator. Two hours later, I was wondering if the meeting and day would ever end.

But ... my saving grace for the day was a late lunch that I had planned with a fellow blogger who was visiting the state and would be passing through town. Some readers -- Memphis MOJO, Ken P and maybe some others, have read the postings and commented on the blog of the gentleman from the Pacific northwest known as Spot, or in a former blogger life, bastinptc. To others, he is just known as Patrick.

I recall first communicating with Patrick during the good ol' days (January 2010) when people in the USA could still play for real money on PokerStars. I final tabled an Omaha event (#2) of the World Blogger Championship of Online Poker (WBCOOP). A total of 1634 entrants battled each other and the Omaha poker gods. From my tournament report of event #2:

Around the time we got to the first bubble, I was seated at a table with IlliniFan97 and bastinptc -- two Illinois guys. It was almost like playing in a home game. I got pissed off when I decided not to play my 10-10-rag-rag and saw a flop of 10-10-rag. Grrrr. Shortly thereafter, both the other guys hit quads and were about to leave me in the dust. I doubled up, however, and then watched the other guys get coolered. Great game, gentlemen. It was fun talking with you and playing with you!

Patrick and some other bloggers railed me, as was common back then if someone went deep in a crowded field. I began reading and commenting on his blog, and thus a friendship was begun. I looked forward to meeting this guy I had known mostly through his writings.

We had a long lunch and were able to talk about poker, family, bloggers (I'll bet a few ears were ringing!), and life in general. For me at least, it is always a thrill to meet someone whom you have known for years through his or her blog. And as I have usually found to be the case, those whom I have liked online have turned out to be pretty great people. Patrick was certainly no exception.


So ... even though I still had to return for the last 1 1/2 hours of work, I was certainly much more enthused about facing down work's challenges with great memories of meeting a blogger friend in person.

Best o' luck, Patrick. And just for you:


3 Comments:

Blogger jusdealem said...

I remember that name from back in the day! It's always great meeting other bloggers.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

I also remember the name from way back. Probably from an online blogger tourney or we may have even met at some blogger event.

11:09 PM  
Blogger ManInBlack said...

Beware of meetings strangers my friend. They may rob you for your Sockroll...lol

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home