Saturday, December 20, 2014

Las Vegas Trip Report Part I: Circus Circus, Tony Bigcharles and the Search for Deep Fried Oreos

I guess it is about time that I post about my recent Las Vegas trip. After all, old, feeble minds like mine can barely recall anything anyway. Ummm ... this is my blog, right?

I decided to take a trip longer than I usually take. This particular trip would be for six nights, keeping me away from home for almost an entire week. And of course, the most difficult part of a trip is getting everything at work in line so that I could go with no worries.

With that accomplished, I did my usual wait until the last minute to pack routine. I don't know why I wait, but it works.

I woke up early in the morning on Thursday, December 4 and was finishing up my packing when I got my first trip-related text -- from Tony Bigcharles, wanting to know when I would be getting in. And so it began.

Instead of my usual routine of driving to Chicago Midway airport and taking Southwest Airlines, I instead flew from my town to Chicago and then on to Las Vegas on American Airlines. It sure was nice being dropped off at the airport a few miles from home rather than having to drive about 150 miles just to catch a flight. I had just enough time to catch my connection in Chicago, so my morning meal consisted of a Snickers bar and a Coke. Breakfast of champions.

When I arrived in Las Vegas, I picked up my rental car from E-Z Rent-A-Car. I have rented from E-Z many times. They keep getting better as there was no line and I had my keys in about five minutes. I highly recommend this agency.

I headed to The Orleans to eat at the lunch buffet there and was able to use comps to pay. I didn't even charge myself have the cost!

After lunch, I checked into ... hang on to your hats ... Circus Circus! This was a throwback to earlier Las Vegas trips when my brother, the King of Komps, and I would stay in crap holes like the Circus Circus Manor, Westward Ho, ... With the rodeo in town and because I didn't make room reservations early, I actually thought that Circus was my best option for the beginning of this trip. I knew that I should get a room in the West Tower since they were refurbished. Additionally, the elevator for the West Tower is right inside the hotel lobby, meaning I could just basically go to my room and avoid most of Circus.

The room itself was actually pretty nice -- as long as an orange motif is fine with you.
I then headed to my usual poker home, Bally's, to play some $1/2 NL. I even was dealt some hands by balt999. Surprisingly, he didn't oversee my typical decrease in stack that seems to happen whenever he is around. Just a joke, buddy!

I saw that TheGameCat was at a different table, but I chose to just observe for awhile. I did put out a tweet that I was observing him in stealth mode, but he was not able to locate me until we finally met while heading to the restroom.

The session was not particularly productive (my way of saying that I lost some money), and I eventually picked up TBC at Wynn and drove us to Fremont Street where Tony needed to pick up some promo. Tony did treat me to dinner at the El Cortez cafĂ©, and then headed off to play one of dem good machines.

Meanwhile, I heard the siren's call from angerisagift and headed toward Mermaids in search of nirvana.
Unfortunately the time was about 2:00 a.m. and Mermaids was already closed. Heresy!

As I was now up for 24 hours (not counting cat naps on the plane), I decided to call it a night. I went back to El Cortez to grab Tony to drive him back to the super secret hidden location where he was living. It is on ... oops, still can't tell you! I know he wasn't too happy with me when I admonished him for his lack of hygiene. This will become more of an issue in the next installments of my trip report.

So ... it was back to Circus Circus to get to sleep. How nice it was at that late hour with almost no kids around.

9 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Room looks okay if the price was right. Looking forward to your next report.

7:53 PM  
Blogger FlushhDraw said...

Updates updates we need updates lol

11:30 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

u got the Whataburger suite???? man, vegas is fucking up. mermaids CLOSED!!!!!!! SHEEEEEEEEEIT!!! Oreos GOOD!!

12:28 AM  
Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

after i moved out i posted the location.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Poker & Gambling 24/7 said...

U see, When you are making big money as a poker pro, you can smell like shit. Who has time for shower, brushing teeth, and using deodorant in these busy times we live in?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Poker & Gambling 24/7 said...

Oh, and Circus Circus is always a good stay at a generally bargain price with large rooms. Anytime over Imperial Palace (or whatever name they are calling it these days)

5:42 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

They're calling it 'The Quad' these days, and I'd take it over Circus anytime... Much better central location, far fewer kids, and right by the new entertainment district... We're ready for Part II Lightning... :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

I've stayed at many Las Vegas strip properties, from low end places to nice places like Bellagio, Wynn and Encore. I always thought the rooms at the IP were okay. The worst were probably at the old Westward Ho. The Ho rooms seemed even below the Circus Circus Manor rooms.

My West Tower room was nice and, as I mentioned, I could just slip in and out of the hotel without running into too many kiddies. I would definitely recommend it for those looking to save money.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

This was clearly the most boring part of your trip, because I wasn't in it.

@Coach...actually, they are calling it "The Linq" these days. keep up with the times, sir.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home