Wednesday, February 18, 2015

60's Pop Star Lesley Gore Dead at 68


A blog reader once commented that he knew when music stars died by reading my blog. In keeping with tradition, I can not let the passing of 60's legend Lesley Gore go by without acknowledging her contribution to pop music.

Gore had a string of popular songs in the 1960's which included "It's My Party," "Judy's Turn to Cry," "She's a Fool," "That's the Way Boys Are, " "Maybe I Know," "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" and "California Nights." However, perhaps Gore's most unique contribution to pop music was an early feminist anthem "You Don't Own Me."

One of my favorite Lesley Gore memories was her appearance on the television show Batman. I don't know if she could have been any more adorable, playing a young girl under the evil tutelage of the Catwoman.

Gore's Johnny might have left in "It's My Party" and returned in "Judy's Turn to Cry," but I was one young Johnny that would never have left such a lovely young woman. Part of her appearance on Batman -- one day before I turned nine years old:


R.I.P.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

the music in back in those days was 100x better than music today

12:48 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

so was the pumpkin pie

3:31 PM  
Blogger ~Coach said...

"It's My Party (and I can cry if I want to)? Is this her? I'd never heard of her...

3:43 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I wondered why she dies so young (or at least what's considered young these days), then I saw she had cancer. A shame.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

I was young but remember her well. Her hits were unforgettable and catchy.

R.I.P.

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home