Tuesday, February 23, 2016

"Stealth" Las Vegas Trip Report -- Part I

Things had not been great for me lately. The governor and legislators in Illinois have caused numerous problems for almost all higher education institutions in the state. I had to tell some people in my department at work that they might lose their jobs. My mother-in-law's dementia has worsened to the point that she is now in a nursing home. The weather was cold and snowy. What better time to head out to Las Vegas! This is the beginning report of the trip I called my "stealth trip."
Oops - not that "Stealth"

As always, I waited until the last minute to pack. Then it was off in the cold and snow to Chicago to catch my flight on Monday morning, January 15. After lucking out with nobody in the middle seat on the flight out, I got my private Uber driver to pick me up at McCarren and take me Flamingo, where I would stay for two nights, to check in.
Alicia "AC" Chang and unidentified Uber customer

We stopped to pick up some food from where else but ...
Loaded up with food from the gods, we stopped off to make a delivery to a hungry soul:
Michelle just waiting for the In-N-Out

After eating, it was finally time to play some poker. First stop: Flamingo, which has tended to be a bad place for me in the past. It did not disappoint. I kept getting low pocket pairs and calling raises. Surely I would hit a set and win a nice pot. Ummm ... no. I had several nice flush draws, and surely I would catch a card to hit the flush and win a nice pot. Ummm ... no.

I made my way to Bally's and  couldn't seem to do anything right. I got few cards and when I did, they were always counterfeited. I always claim to want to get to bed at a decent time on my first night in Las Vegas. This time I really did get to bed earlier than usual, licking my wounds from the disastrous first night in Las Vegas. Things had to get better, right?

One interesting note from the first night: the friggin' Wyndham reps were all over me. I usually go to Las Vegas by myself and don't get bothered by the timeshare people. However, walking around with AC, the Wyndham reps thought we were a couple and were on us like ants on a fallen picnic hamburger. What a pain in the butt.

Tuesday started out with a freebie brunch at Paris. Caesars Entertainment Corp has a great promotion currently going on in Las Vegas: get 50 tier credits, get a free buffet (Caesars Bacchanal not included). 50 tier credits = three hours of poker. Sweet! After stuffing myself like the glutton I am, I texted my brother, thundering36, to rub it in. He asked me if I had eaten a crepe yet. I hadn't, but still had some room in my gizzard for this awesome treat:
As always, thundering36 could be counted on to give an appropriate comment: "I hate you!!!!!" I guess a strawberry, raspberry and blueberry crepe with whipped cream, powdered sugar and raspberry sauce will do that to some people.

I played some more poker at my old "home," Bally's, and still was going nowhere. The only bonus was having a nice chat with Bally's dealer and good guy Ron -- balt999. I played some $1-1 NL at The LINQ and the run bad continued.

I finally decided to go to the place that had been really good to me the past trip or two: Mirage. Surely I could do at least a little better there? Well, ...
Ding -- we have a winnah! The biggest pot I won was when I raised with J-J and got several callers. The flop: 10-J-A rainbow! I knew that I was vulnerable if someone played K-Q, but that wasn't going to stop me. One player actually laid down a set of 10's after I pushed, one had two pair and one didn't show. The turn was a blank and the river was a King. I thought I was dead. However, no Queens were in play and I scooped a huge pot. Shazam!

I cashed out and went to join AC, Michelle and Kristi, who were playing at The LINQ. AC posted this picture, which she captioned "lightning's angels:"
One gets the feeling that more than a few drinks were consumed prior to the picture!

I decided to buy in for $140 at this $1/1 NL game. The first hand I was dealt A-Q and called a raise. The flop was Ace high, and the initial raiser pushed the rest of his $100 stack. I decided to call. It turns out that he had A-J and shipped his hundo to me. Sweet! I played several hours and ended up with a decent profit. After such a poor start to poker, I dug myself out of my hole. Things should only be going up from here, right?

On Wednesday morning, I packed up and had my Uber driver take me to Gold Coast. Thanks, Boyd Gaming, for the two comped nights at Gold Coast. As I checked in, I had to tweet out this picture of my room to 3dollarbag and ShadyStevePoker:
Yes -- the guy who grew up in the 60's and 70's who has yet to partake of the evil weed gets assigned room 420. Shazam!

For lunch, AC and I went to a place I had been wanting to try for several years, Ping Pang Pong. A look at some of the great dim sum:
After lunch, it was time to head back to the poker table. Destination: MGM. I made a nice profit there when I called a raise with 8-8. The flop had a King and two small cards, and I just didn't believe the initial raiser. My gut told me that he bricked and was trying to push me off my hand. He raised the flop and I called. The turn seemed to be inconsequential. He raised again and I called. The river seemed to be another brick. He put out a big raise, which certainly stunk to the high heaven. He either had me all the way and played me for a sucker or else I was dead on in my read. I called. Bingo -- his A-Q was no good. Woot woot!

I headed down to Harrah's to get in a quick session before dinner with AC and Michelle at the Rio buffet. Yes -- another free buffet, courtesy of poker. The session at Harrah's was less than successful, after which we were off to Rio. Afterwards, Michelle and I got in a session at Bally's.
The session at Bally's had a couple of disasters. A shorty was all in with K-K and I called with A-A. King on the flop. Shit. And finally ... finally ... I finally flopped a set -- 6's on a board of 4-5-6 rainbow. One would think that I was good. I raised and was re-raised. The villain obviously flopped the straight. I called the raise with the hope that I could pair the board. No luck. I checked and the villain raised big, and at that point I had to just let go. Bah! What had potential to be a great session ended up being disappointing. At least I did have good intuition in heading back to The LINQ for the midnight ticket drawing since I had about a dozen tickets in the hopper from the previous late night session. One of my tickets was pulled, giving me a free $100. Can't argue with that! I returned to Bally's afterwards. At about 5:00 a.m. I decided to call it a night. After a cab ride to Gold Coast, it was time to hit the sheets and dream about crushing some more poker before the trip ended.

24 Comments:

Blogger angerisagift said...

FRIED OREOS AND TWINKIES!!!!!!!!

11:47 PM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

Hey, less poker talk and more food and sexy chicks pics, please.

12:40 AM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

LOL Michelle just waiting for the "In and Out" sounds interesting #RandomVegasBanging

2:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Flamingo's crepes are the bomb!! Love that place, definitely a good value.

Side note: I am a joke, no double entendres required��

3:37 AM  
Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

nice picture of Michelle. (one with the in/out) looks like the meth/crack whores i used to give money to. which in my opinion, look very desirable as a sidekick. really resent how all the bums have one, when i dont when im much better able to take care of their needs. so disappointed carmen was never willing to become a hooker so i could be there for her.

5:31 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@Michelle -- The crepe was from Paris. The berry one I had was excellent.

@Tony -- I don't know why you think Michelle looks like a crack whore. She is very pretty. I don't even know what to say to the rest of your comment. I'm sure others will.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Thanks for a great trip report -- can't wait for installment Num. 2.

Nice pic of your angels, too. #chickmagnet

8:48 AM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

Good report - looking forward to Part II! PS - WTF is with Tony's comment? Michelle does not look like a crack whore (at least what I envision one to look like, not having familiarity with crack whores). She's an attractive lady!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, that is an actual first for me (being a crack whore and all). I feel like I should be living a different life style

9:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If I'm a sidekick do I get a cool name and bad ass costume? 🗯POW👊🏼BOOM!⚡️BANG!🔫

9:30 AM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

Tony's a f***wit. I told lightning when he stopped by on his way home from Vegas that Michelle looked really pretty in the pic of her and him and that I hope lightning's wife wouldn't be jealous.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Cokeboy99 said...

Mirage and flamingo were both very good to me last trip. Ballys is starting to slide down the list, in terms of poker anyhow.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Onechiquita100 said...

This is Lightning's blog, Tony. Stop hijacking other people's blogs!

2:50 PM  
Blogger mrben09 said...

Ping pang pong is the bomb bomb bomb. That is all.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

i did think Michelle looked like a normal woman in the picture with lightning (both are nice pictures of her). the first person though, looks like she is more into crime. I also find women who work the streets hang out with black guys, and get high highly appealing. thats why i get jealous i cant have one of my own. Plus its totally inconsiderate of the needs of the black women--they have a right to be loved too. women who get high are the type most guys see as fun--and become attracted to. think of britney spears for instance and lindsay lohan. most of u men wish to fuck her. nothing against michelle, i may be angry she didnt hang out and be my friend while in vegas. i may be mad i feel she cares more of flush draws health than mine when ill surely die first. but i was saying thats a damn appealing picture. neither u, PPP or her shouldve been offended. i cant help it the type of women i find good looking

5:19 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

"women who get high are the type most guys see as fun--and become attracted to"

Tony, I am not sure that many would agree with you. Most guys that I know would like a woman who is kind, smart, fun, independent -- and that has a personality. Looks are in the eye of the beholder. I don't find prostitutes and drug abusers attractive. I would guess that you are in the minority here.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Most guys that I know would like a woman who is kind, smart, fun, independent -- and that has a personality

Sounds quite a lot like Michele and A.C. and both are cute, too boot. Don't understand the crack whore shit.

6:34 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

@lightning dont forget big boobies and can roll a joint #importantSHEEEEEEEEEEIT

8:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You guys are incredibly kind☺️

10:08 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

@Michele G thx i am Kind AF obv

11:00 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Hi Lightbulb,

I clicked on this post entirely because I thought you met Stealthmunk! #truestory #tonysjealous #mgisahottie

11:45 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

A comment from Josie? What next -- Tony wins the WSOP Main Event? : o )

Stealthmunk used to play closer to your area poker poker rooms, so I am surprised you haven't met him. I have not.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Poker & Gambling 24/7 said...

Thank you for sharing. Love to read your trip reports. Looks like a friendly group Michelle and AC, nice to have friends to visit and have a pleasant time

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle is hot. Hope to play poker with her next time I'm in Vegas.

Tony needs a beat down.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home