Sunday, September 11, 2016

Almost Back to Me

Things were not going too badly in May. I had a nice vacation in Las Vegas and was ready for the summer. However, there were a couple of things in my life that had potential to blow up ... and they did.

It had been evident for some time, at least to me, that my wife's supervisor, the principal at a private elementary/middle school, seemed to not like my wife for some reason. About a week or two before the school year ended, an email my wife received led her to believe that she, an at-will employee, would be fired. She confronted the principal, who lied to to her face told her no. Toward the end of May, I was taking part in a big picnic that the directors of my workplace hosted for our employees. During that, I heard from my wife that she had been let go and was treated very harshly. Meanwhile, I am gritting my teeth as I helping run the picnic. It was a shitty day.

Last December, I watched my mom for a few days after Christmas so that thundering36 could get a break away from taking care of her and go to Las Vegas. My mom was not too bad during the time I watched over her, but thundering36 let me know that he saw a cognitive decline in her during the first several months of 2016. In June, my mom seemed to be having some more severe issues, and it was recommended that she go into the hospice in-patient center for a few days for an evaluation. As I got ready to head up to visit in June, my brother told me that I needed to get to the in-patient unit right away. I had just started the trip and pulled to the side of the road, phoned my wife to quickly pack some clothes, went back home to get my wife, and headed to the in-patient center. My family watched my mother slowly die over the next week. She passed away on June 16, the day before my son's birthday.

The next couple months were pretty rough. I had already cancelled a quick return trip to Las Vegas and was forced to cancel a trip my wife and I were going to take to New Orleans. We also had a special hotel room reserved in St. Louis to celebrate our anniversary in July, but I just didn't feel like going.

I got a short respite at the end of July as thundering36 and I went to a couple White Sox-Cubs games, but the afterward the pressure at work was pretty intense. I went back to Las Vegas at the end of August and was joined by my wife for a few days, After returning, more intense work, which finally ended last Friday afternoon.

So in short, my summer really sucked. It was if there were clouds hovering over my head for a few months. I put on weight and overall felt like crap. It was part depression and part just needing to cope with some new realities. All the while I had a ton of pressure at work. Yuck.

However, I seem to have broken through since returning from Las Vegas. I've been on a diet and have dropped eight pounds. For the first time since last spring, I feel like myself again -- for better or worse!

And once again, a heartfelt thank you to my online and poker friends who were around for me this summer and helped me get through these past difficult months. The tweets, text messages, Facebook comments and blog comments all were a part of finally getting my life back to normal. I think I am about there.

Onward and upward. That is the right direction to go, right?

9 Comments:

Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

very positive blog

3:51 AM  
Blogger Onechiquita100 said...

Sorry I wasn't around for you but things are looking up!

Sincerely,
The Uber Driver

11:42 AM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

And in spite of all of his troubles, he and mrslightning treated me to an early birthday dinner at Gordon Ramsay Steak at Paris since I had flown in the day before they left Vegas. I had waited four years to have my Beef Wellington, since we had to cancel our trip to Vegas for my 60th birthday. Unfortunately I was not able to walk over to PH after the meal to see the historic meeting between mrslightning and TBC. If only Ms Chang would have been there, The National Enquirer might have had the best pic of a double date ever to grace their front page.

1:56 PM  
Blogger mrben09 said...

Great blog Sir. Just improve the beer choice and your set.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

Fall is almost back and so is Lightning!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Onechiquita100 said...

Happily Miss Chang was in the City by the Bay, enjoying art, history, architecture, fine dining and all those things that would bore the crap out of Mr. Bigcharles. The lack of mutual interests has put the kibosh on the Chang/Bigcharles wedding plans. L36 can put his tux away as he will not be serving as a groomsman. And we were going to serve Beef Wellington at the reception but the would-be groom's gums would bleed and his loose teeth would not be able to handle the meat so we decided to switch it out for mashed potatoes.

11:35 AM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

Damn. I was going to get an online ordination to be the celebrant. The Rev. thundering36 sounds classy.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Lester said...

Hang in there L36. It sounds like you have turned the corner per se!!!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

Thundering & Lightning,

I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. :( I know how tough losing a parent is, but take comfort in knowing she had such a long and full life.

Best,
Very Josie

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home