Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Life Updates -- Some Good and Some Bad


I haven't felt motivated to write a new post for a couple of weeks, largely due to life fatigue and fatigue in general. Some updates, for those interested:

1) Wife gets job! My wife had been unemployed since the end of last May. Unemployment benefits ran out in December, so the need to come up with a job became more acute. It looks like she has landed something that will work out really well: a job as office manager for a chiropractor in town. My wife is friends with his wife, and the three will be working together. It seems like a great fit.

2) Son gets a job! My son is completing his degree in Math and Computer Science this semester with an online class. He accepted a job as a software engineer for a start-up company in Seattle. The job appears to be great, but that also means that he will be moving over 2,000 miles away from his family. Fortunately, Seattle is only a plane ride away, but it will be quite different not having him in the area. His mother will have an especially difficult time with this and I am dealing with it as best I can. He is finally living out his dream, which is, I guess, all that a parent can hope for.

3) The clean up of my mother's house began just over a week ago. It is difficult beginning the process --  seeing the house that you grew up in and all the requisite memories getting further and further from your grasp. My brother, thundering36 (I have three brothers and a sister), will finally be resuming the life he was living in Australia 17 years ago.

4) Death will again soon be visiting the family, as my mother-in-law is on her final days. I am pretty sure that I had written in the past that my mother and my mother-in-law were having a sad race to their deaths. My mom passed away last June, but was still in pretty decent shape mentally until the end. My mother-in-law was not quite so lucky, as dementia hit her hard and fast. My wife went to be with her yesterday. Sadly, it is just a matter of time.

Work pressures continue to build as the State of Illinois -- specifically the legislature and the governor -- seem determined to devastate higher education and social services in the state. My department is losing staff (people leaving are not being replaced) and we are gaining the many new responsibilities as a small office is being merged into mine. I am scheduled to remain head of my department until May 2018, but I may decide to step down at the end of this coming April. There are many things to consider, and I hope that I will have an answer by the end of this week.

I have been playing a little online poker recently. I have been reminded how frustrating it can be: know-it-alls popping off in chat, horrendous beats, lots of time spent playing. I probably need to stay away. I've played some brick and mortar poker in 2017, winning a little in a few early January sessions at the local riverboat, losing a buy-in or two in Las Vegas last month, and dumping a little bit at Harrah's Joliet. I'll probably up my play once a little bit of the pressure currently on me subsides.

I'm thankful for tweets, Facebook posts and blog posts and comments (on other blogs) that have kept me connected to my friends and acquaintances. The past nine months have not been great, and things will only get worse soon. I am hoping that by the middle of summer, things in my life will be more settled and life will be a little less challenging.

Thanks for reading!

4 Comments:

Blogger Iron Mike Sharpe said...

"know-it-alls popping off in chat"

But enough about TBC.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lester said...

Glad to hear the good news but as always bad news always sucks. Sorry man...

I play wsop.com on my phone a lot. If you join up send a friends request to LaLaLaLESTER. I see a lot of yammering in the chat and the most motivated that I can get is to use my fav four letters that don't get censored: foff

3:30 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I am thrilled to hear the news about Mrs. Lightning's new job situation. Tell her hi for me.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Cokeboy99 said...

Sorry to hear of the impending passing of your mother-in-law. Loss is never easy to deal with, whether you have time to prepare or not.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home