Wednesday, September 27, 2017

MLB: My Favorite Catch of All Time; My Favorite Moment

Watching the Chicago Cubs clinch their division tonight, I was nostalgic for some of my favorite moments in Major League Baseball.

The first clip is of the greatest all-around player to play the game, Willie Mays. If you were expecting his World Series catch at the Polo Grounds -- nope! Instead, it is of the unbelievable catch he made against the fence in Candlestick Park.


And for drama, nothing beats the long clip below of Kirk Gibson and his classic at bat in Game One of the 1988 World Series. Injured, struggling to walk/run, team down one run with a runner on with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning ...

It's almost time for post-season games. Play ball!

5 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

As a Cubs' fan, would you rather clinch at home at at your hated rival's ballpark? There must be something sweet about doing it in St. Louis.

3:00 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

It was nice seeing the celebration at Busch Stadium.

4:08 PM  
Blogger norm said...

Now if the Cubs can just repeat>

4:44 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Great clips, sir.

I had no idea thought so highly of Willie Mays. Willie is my all-time favorite ballplayer, bar none. My dad introduced me to baseball and Willie Mays at the same time, and I was a Giants fan even after our family relocated to L.A. when I was a kid.

However, I've never seen that catch before and I really am surprised you picked that one. I actually don't like the play. It looks to me like the right-fielder (I think it was Bobby Bonds) was about to make a rather routine catch when Willie jumped in out of nowhere to make the spectacular play. He should have let the other player catch it. If I'm right that it was Bobby Bonds, he was a great fielder himself.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

As for the Gibson HR, one of the greatest moments in the history of sports, no doubt. I remember literally jumping off my couch when the ball hit the bat, totally unreal. Vin Scully's call was perfect, of course.

Probably the only World Series that was over after the first game. No point in playing the rest of the games, it was over.

BUT....I never noticed this before...unless it is an optical illusion, on the replay in the clip, it sure looks like Gibson didn't come anywhere close to touching second base on his HR trot. Take a look at it. He misses it by at least a foot if not more. Am I crazy?

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home