Sunday, October 29, 2017

Brian Wilson Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Concert Photo Dump


On Sunday, October 8, I drove to Peoria, IL to attend a stop in the Brian Wilson Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour. I scored second row tickets at a reasonable price and was finally able to do one of the many things I had been wanting to do for a few years - see Brian Wilson in concert. I had missed catching this tour earlier, but the recent death of Tom Petty reminded me to do things now and not have regrets later.

I know that Brian Wilson does not have the voice he had back when the Beach Boys were cranking out surf and hot rod songs, but I was not going to miss this chance to see a true musical genius and legend when he was so close.

The concert was great, starting with many popular Beach Boys songs, a performance of the Pet Sounds album, then a finish with more Beach Boys songs, ending with Brian Wilson's solo "Love and Mercy." Al Jardine's son, Matt, sung the old Brian Wilson high parts in most of the songs, while Wilson sang songs still in his range, including some originally sung by Mike Love. For me, the most touching moment of the night was hearing and seeing the legend sing "In My Room," a song that was inspired from the abuse he suffered from his father.

Some pictures I took at the concert:

The Stage

Brian Wilson

Former Beach Boy Al Jardine

Blondie Chaplin

Matt Jardine

The band

Set list from the concert

A true musical genius

2 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Enjoyed the pics.

the recent death of Tom Petty reminded me to do things now and not have regrets later.

Reminds me that I'm not getting any younger either.

3:50 PM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

What a coincidence. Last night I watched YouTube and saw five different performances over various times of Brian Wilson singing God Only Knows - one of my favourite songs. My first 45 was Wouldn't It Be Nice/God Only Knows. Can it really be over 50 years ago?

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home