Friday, February 28, 2020

A Snoot Full of Dried Blood

Yesterday I posted a picture of myself on Twitter with the following caption: "To my friend @sevencard2003: u see, don't be STUPID like me and slow roll a guy twice ur size, of course."

So no -- as I answered to my niece who saw the picture and had some concern (she is an R.N. completing her FNP courses) -- I did not take a punch to my nose for slow rolling. I actually had nasal surgery Thursday morning.

As I head closer and closer to retirement, I am wanting to address some health issues I have put off. This surgery had been suggested about 35 years ago, but I decided against it, not convinced that the benefit would be worth the surgery. However, now seems to be the time so that I at least I am doing what I can to help my health for the future.

Surgery in 2020 is amazing. I checked in at 6:00 a.m. at a local surgery center about a mile from my house. Surgery began at 7:30, took only about an hour, and I was on my way home at 11:00 a.m.

The aftermath hasn't been too bad. There was some bleeding yesterday and a little today. I only had a little throat pain yesterday. I was able to clean off some dried blood outside my nose, but man -- there are lumps of dried blood inside my nose bugging the crap out of me! I can't wait for the internal healing to be done.

Fortunately, I have tons of sick time and will have next week off work to recover. As long as I do not do anything stupid in the next several days, I should be fine.

As for poker news, I traveled to Harrah's Joliet last weekend to play some $1/2 NL. The $300K Bad Beat Jackpot was calling my name! Unfortunately, it was one of those days where I got slaughtered no matter what I did. My pocket Kings lost to a flopped set of 6's. Top pair good kicker lost to top pair better kicker. I hit my straight on the river and opponent made his flush on the river. Finally, four of us were in a hand where I was dealt Ad-10d. The flop had two diamonds. After the flop, a guy pushed all in. Two other players folded and I was relatively short stacked. I called. The turn was a brick, as was the river. I turned over my cards and said "I whiffed. " My opponent turned over Kd-9d! Unfortunately, he binked a 9 on the river. Such was the night. I lost 2+ buy-ins. Some days are just like that, unfortunately.

I hope to get in a session at the Par-A-Dice Casino riverboat sometime in the next week to help with my recovery. Doctor's orders, I think.

Thanks for reading!


Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

did u pay for IV sedation so u wouldnt been under excruciating pain during the entire time of the surgery, the same way an infant is when a woman waits to delay her abortion til after 24 weeks

2:29 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Yes, I was under anesthesia for the operation, which is standard procedure for this. It makes it all seem pretty quick and makes sure you dont disrupt the surgery. I was offered a narcotic to ease pain during the operation and afterward, but I declined and just was given Tylenol.

2:37 AM  
Blogger AyeCarambaPoker said...

When I saw your photo on Twitter I was going to comment that the new Batman movie doesn’t look up to much given how little the costume budget was! But thought better of it just in case you had been beaten up - glad you’re ok.

Surgery is amazing nowadays - my only one was a knee repair a few years ago sorting out an old sporting injury. In at 10am and home just after lunchtime but I got signed off work for a mandatory 14 days even though I could have returned to work the next day - it just happened to be at the same time as the soccer world cup which was a very nicely timed coincidence!

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home