Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Tombstone, AZ: Site of the Gunfight at the OK Corral with a Side Trip to the Grave Of Johnny Ringo



Like many people, I have been a big fan of the movie Tombstone for some time. Since I am a person who doesn't particularly enjoy going out to movies, it is not surprising that I never saw Tombstone when it was originally released in 1993. However, Tombstone and many other movies seem to have developed second, third, and many more lives via cable television networks. These multiple showings were my introduction to the movie and, essentially, a closer look at Wyatt Earp and the gunfight at the OK Corral. Prior to moving to Arizona, I did some online research about both topics. My plan was to make a trip to Tombstone sometime in the winter or spring. Needing to use a Best Western comped room by the end of March helped in giving me a deadline. On March 25, my wife and I headed out in the morning hours to make the 200+ mile trip. Following are some of our pictures:

Big Nose Kate's Saloon

The Oriental Saloon
The actual site of the gunfight
Figures depicting where the participants were
The area where the reenactment was performed

Photo of the three gunmen killed in the fight
Laudanum -- opiate used by Mattie Blaylock, Wyatt Earp's common-law wife. She died from a combination of alcohol and laudanum
Just down the road from the main area of old Tombstone is Boot Hill
Old Man Clanton

Burial place of the gunmen killed at the OK Corral

After a fun afternoon in Tombstone, we drove about an hour northeast to visit Johnny Ringo's grave. It is on private property, but the owner allows visitors. It was really out in the middle of nowhere and required driving a few miles on a nasty unpaved road with tons of stone.



It was a long but successful day. We headed back toward Tombstone and stayed in Sierra Vista for the night. Was the trip worth it? Hell YES!

4 Comments:

Blogger unabletodeleteblogprofile said...

F&O visited Tombstone several years ago. 100% agree, worth it.

7:58 AM  
Blogger FlushhDraw said...

This was awesome and I thank you so much for sharing it. As a history buff myself and a major part of that being the old west I absolutely love this post and those photos.

8:43 AM  
Blogger geezer said...

did you see the rosebush in Tombstone

8:41 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@geezer - I knew nothing about that until you mentioned it. Had I known, I know my wife would have definitely made it a stop for us.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home