Thursday, April 17, 2008

Going Through Some Tough Poker Times

Did you ever go through one of those times when nothing seems to go right? Poker-wise, that's where I am right now.

On Saturday, I played at my local spot, Illinois Charitable Games. I sat down at the $1/2 NL table, and what did I get the first hand? A-A! Being unfamiliar with what raises had been standard at that table, I raised $15 from the big blind. I got one caller. The flop brought three blanks. I raised $25 and the other guy went all in for $27. I, of course, called, only to see that he hit a set of 3's. So ... a guy with 3-3 calls a $15 bet with only $27 behind???

Other hands of note: I got A-A and had two people go all in in front of me. I called, only to face off against K-Qos and ... A-A! Dang -- split pot.

I called a bet with A-10 and saw a flop of A-A-10. I thought I was going to double up ... and so did the other guy, who also had A-10. Split pot. And that was how I rolled that day ...

My online tournaments have not been memorable. I made an moronic call in the MATH tournament and got felted -- clearly my bad. I couldn't get anywhere in the Bodonkey, and got virtually no cards in last night's Mookie. The best cards I got were A-J (folded to a big raise after I missed the flop), and 8-8 (folded to an all-in by someone who had me covered). Out before the first break.

Will tonight's Riverchasers get me back on track, or will I continue my sub-par performances?

4 Comments:

Blogger smokkee said...

i got thru stretches like that too. but i don't chop, i ship.

it can always be worse.

you could be stuck in a recurring nightmare where there's no NLHE and all you can play is .01/.02 RAZZ.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

Smokkee's right...it can always be worse (I'm still stung by my flopped straight flush that went down on Tuesday).

Sounds like variance is biting you on the ass, but at least she put her mouthguard in, so it feels more like a gum job.

Hang in there -- there's much better to come.

3:14 PM  
Blogger CEMfromMD said...

Keep your head up man, you are too good of a player for a little variance to get you down for long.

8:40 AM  
Blogger MurryTheCat said...

I have never had a bad run of cards. I have never been victimized by a moronic play. Poker is easy.
Wake up Cat you must be dreaming lol. If I could fold KK preflop i would be a richer man this year, grrrrr.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home