Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bloggers Invade Las Vegas; More on Governor Blago
While Some Are having Fun in Las Vegas ...
Best wishes to all the poker bloggers who are invading Las Vegas this weekend for a blogger tournament and for some good old fashioned fun. I wish I were going. Unfortunately, November, December, and the beginning of January are my busiest weeks at work. Right now, I am just running on fumes and hope to make it to the Christmas holidays in one piece.

Most of you know how it is when you hit that time of year at work when you just struggle to get through one day at a time to only have to turn around and struggle back for the next day. I am pretty much mentally and physicaly exhausted. Last night, my wife and I just sat around discussing what we would do for dinner. Not making dinner. Not going out for it. Just discussing it. Is that pathetic or what?


More on Governor Rod Blagojevich
Today is just another day in dealing with the variety of emotions felt with the Rod Blagojevich situation. Remember that this is a governor who had a lower approval rating than President Bush. Looks like it is Limbo Rock time now -- "How low can you go?"

I grew up outside Chicago, so it is not like political shenanigans are anything new to me. I lived in my state capital, Springfield, for eight years while working my first professional job. I could not believe the education in state government that I received during that time in the 1980's. We used to refer to the people who ran the state as Republicrats. Whichever party won the governor's seat controlled state government. The minority party was allocated its fair share of graft. As long as the head honchos played well together, the state ran fine. Everyone got his or her share while the citizens were really screwed.

Blagojevich, however, didn't play nice. He refused to live in the governor's mansion and refused to live in Springfield. Instead, he ran things out of Chicago, as did a previous governor. The biggest problem, however, was that Blagojevich somehow believed that the support of the people of the state gave him license to do whatever he wanted. He did not work well with the Republican party leaders. He did not work well with his fellow Democrats. For some reason that I can not understand, the idiot voters in this state re-elected him to a second term. We missed out on a woman who would have been a hell of a governor, Judy Barr Topinka. Instead we got Blago again.

I am sure that Barack Obama is glad he stayed as far away as possible from this train wreck of a governor. It was common knowledge that he was being investigated by the feds. I was fairly certain that he would end up in jail after his term of office expired. Little did I know that he would be stupid enough and arrogant enough to try to sell Obama's vacated senate seat and and get taped doing so.

The people of Illinois are certainly embarrassed to be made to look like a bunch of stupid chumps in front of the world. However, believe me when I tell you that the overriding feeling is one of elation for seeing the beginning of the end of this corrupt administration. Lt Governor Pat Quinn will hopefully be taking over sooner rather than later. Quinn is a true maverick (he he) who has rubbed many in his party the wrong way. However, he is known throughout the state as a populist politician. I have confidence that Mr. Quinn will be the first step in restoring some sanity in our state government.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mondogarage said...

Isn't the saying, "Power corrupts, but Illinois governorship corrupts absolutely"?

We need an alternate fest for bloggers not going to Vega$. Only reason I'm not going is my firm Xmas party, but it's my wife's favorite social event of the season...some things are more important.

6:06 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Wish you were here. Tournament is today!

What your governor did and is still doing just amazes me.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I was in Florida last weekend. At a restaurant, I overheard a couple at the next table discussing the IL governor situation. You've probably heard this, but they referred to Cook County as Crook County.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home