Thursday, February 26, 2009

Goodbye -- We'll Miss You Norm

Norm Van Lier passed away today. Norm, a former Chicago Bull, was one of the NBA's best defensive players in the 1970's. He teamed with Jerry Sloan to form one of the best defensive backcourts ever. You always knew that the Bulls, in the pre-Jordan days of Sloan, Van Lier, Love, and Walker, would always be in the game due to defense.
Norm returned to cover the Bulls on Chicago sports television at the beginning of the Bulls' championship teams of the 1990's. He always spoke his mind -- patting players on the back when waranted, slicing them apart with critical comments when deserved.
He was passionate about basketball and was always a fan favorite. We'll miss you, Norm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I know I'm showing my age, but I saw Sloan play in college (Evansville Aces). My team (SIU Salukis) had Walt Frazier. What a battle.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home