Wednesday, March 04, 2009

From the Outhouse to the Penthouse -- Sort Of
People who have followed this blog know that I had some rough times over the past two years when I bought a new house and had my old house sit on the market for a year. Paying two mortgages and all the associated bills was certainly not pleasant, but at least my wife and I had good professional jobs and could absorb the costs for at least some time.

The nightmare began to end when we sold our old house last September. However, we sold the house for less than it was worth and had accrued a significant amount of interest on our bridge loan. But, as fate would have it, interest rates came down so low that I was able to refinance and essentially wipe out a large amount of our losses. Believe me, I am truly thankful.

I am happy to announce that things have been going even better. I have been granted sabbatical leave for the spring 2010 semester at my school. Essentially, time on my sabbatical will be spent retooling my clinical skills, reading journal articles and studying the most recent trends regarding psychological issues and treatment, particularly as they pertain to college students. I will also be doing some in-depth study of the latest research in the diagnosis and treatment of Asperger's Syndrome.

This leave, which will be at full, regular pay, will be the first time since I was 14 years old that I have actually had some extended, unscheduled free time on my hands. It is hard for me to imagine since I have always been working, involved in sport teams or civic groups, had child care obligations ... and on and on.

It's funny -- the economy is in the crapper, people are in financial trouble all across the country, yet suddenly things are very good for me. I don't write about this to boast, but rather to remind people that things do have a way of turning around, and that sometimes, believe it or not, hard work and dedication is actually recognized and rewarded.

I hope your prospects are looking up. If not, hopefully they will soon.

Peace -- out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Schaubs said...

Good to hear J.

Congrats on everything you have worked so hard for.

Hard work, does, definitely pay off.

2:38 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

That's awesome! I wish there were sabbaticals in my line of work.

Enjoy! Let me know if you end up wander north to watch your Sox lose to the Twins.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home