Monday, April 12, 2010

Cubs Opener -- Yesssss!!

Today was the day for home opener number two: the Chicago Cubs vs. the Milwaukee Brewers at Wrigley Field. The Cubbies cooperated with a 9-5 victory.

The day started very early as I made my trek from central Illinois to the southwest suburbs of Chicago. I met my nephew at my mom's house, and then we hiked about a mile to the train station to catch the commuter train into Chicago. Nasty construction traffic made us decide to take public transportation -- Metra train to the city, then the Red Line north to the Friendly Confines.

After a beer at Harry Caray's Tavern in Wrigleyville and a quick stop in 7-Eleven for el cheapo food (compared to the ballpark), we were ready to enter Wrigley Field. I jinxed myself by saying "Wow -- I can't believe everything has gone so well this morning. No crowd problems or anything."

Dolt. I should have known better. My nephew entered at the turnstile, but I was stopped since, for some reason, the hand-held scanner would not scan the bar code of my ticket. I was directed to the ticket window where I received a substitute ticket. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut.

After roaring renditions of God Bless America and the Star Spangled Banner by Chicago favorite Wayne Messmer , we were ready to see Ryan Dempster lead the Cubs to victory. Dempster was sluggish, but did stick around for 100+ pitches and earned the victory.

The temperature was around 58 degrees at game time. Sitting in the upper deck, however, made the day just a little bit cool -- but great for an April opener in Chicago.

Cubs fans ofttimes take heat for the atmosphere at Wrigley -- that people are more interested in being seen and getting drunk than actually watching the game. Today was no exception. Although there were many serious fans in our section, there were soooo many people just guzzling down beer after beer without regard to any action on the field and people obviously there just to be there. I also saw what I believe to be the most creepy, pathetic old guy at a ballgame -- even creepier than me! The entire game (I guess he was soused off his ass) he kept calling young, attractive women over and asking them to pose for pictures for him. If he saw boobage, he sprang into action. Go to a freaking strip club, loser!

The Cubs showed some power with three home runs -- and yes, they were sweet. Even the Cubs have a pretty good chance of a win when they jump out to an 8-1 lead. Pitcher Jeff Samardzija even reduced his ERA from 108 (yes -- it was 108.00 based on 1/3 inning pitched prior to the game!) to a lowly 27.00. wtg Jeff!

The train rides back to the 'burbs were uneventful except for this Red Line exchange between a drunk girl going home after the game and a young commuter going home after work.

The scene: Crowded train after the Cubs game has ended. Young guy stands up to get off at the next stop, then thinks about returning to his seat, only to see that it has now been taken by the drunk girl.

Girl: Weren't you just sitting here?
Guy: Yes.
Girl: Well, you can sit on my lap.
Guy: No thanks. You said you had to pee really badly ...

Just one of those things you had to hear in person to appreciate, I guess ...

As Harry Caray used to say: "You can't beat fun at the old ballpark."

4 Comments:

Blogger Josie said...

I'm sooooo jealous. I'm jonesing for a live baseball game - but a red sox game. That being said, on my to do list is a road trip to see Wrigley Field....which is second only to Fenway Park.

R we gonna be nice to each other today?

8:53 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

The only thing tat could have been better was if Harry Carray were still around/

10:12 AM  
Blogger dbcooper said...

I would love to see a ball game at Wrigley Field.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

Wrigley Field is a beautiful place to be on any day. Glad your boys pulled it out for you. It's going to be a fun season.

Can't wait for the Cubs/Rox series.

Ironically, when the Cubs come to Denver, Coors Field becomes much like Wrigley is every day, with regard to the number for folks who don't actually care about the action on the field...we call them Chicago exports, lol.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home