Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Blackhawks Up 2-0 in Stanley Cup Finals

Philly Asshole Shows Why He Made My List

Two more wins -- so short yet so long -- until I finally see something I have been waiting a long time to see: the Stanley Cup in Chicago. Although I was alive when the Hawks last hoisted the Cup, I was too young to remember it.

Growing up in Chicagoland in the 1960s and 1970s, I began paying attention to sports during the really dry years of Chicago sports. There was a 22 year championship drought -- the period when I was growing up. The Bears finally broke through in 1986. The Bulls followed with six championships in the 1990s. The White Sox won it all in 2005. The only two teams yet to win: the Blackhawks and the Cubs (muhahaha). This is the year of the Hawks.

Game three is in Philadelphia Wednesday night. I picked the Hawks to win in five games, so I would not be surprised to see the Flyers win game three.

Today's featured player: Chris Pronger of the Flyers, who remains one of the game's dirtiest players and poor sports. Refs won't call cross checks against him, and he tries to get under the Hawks' skins by grabbing the end-of-game pucks and pitching them. Congratulations for demonstrating why you made my recent all-time hockey d-bag list. Well deserved!

8 Comments:

Blogger Shrike said...

Dustin Byfuglien has to make this list. We both know you won't admit this, however.

-PL

4:03 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

How did I know you would say that, PL?

I don't think Bigg Buff is at this level yet. I can understand why Canucks fans don't like him, though.

During the regular season, Big Buff only had 94 PIM -- only 53rd in the league. He doesn't get fightning majors. He tends to irritate other teams.

Pronger, however, is and always has been a dirty player as evidenced by his many suspensions. He is the king of the dirty cross check and is a nasty guy.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I'm not really an ice hockey fan, but I'm rooting for the Blackhawks because I was born in Chicago.

4:19 PM  
Blogger dbcooper said...

Pronger not only is a doofus on the ice he is a doofus off. Just ask his wife.. Or the female news lady in Edmonton which caused him to ask for a trade.

8:03 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Geez -- I forgot all about that, coop. Looks like he is a d-bag all around. Certainly is a favorite in Edmonton now ...

8:31 PM  
Blogger BamBam said...

IMHO Pronger is one FULL step, behind Bobby Clarke on any D-Bag and cheap shot artist list. But that's why we all have opinions right?

;)

7:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and now it is tied...

Now it's all about if Chicago can get aggressive again and clean out the front of the net.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

LOL,

Dirt bags when the play against your team, heroes when they play for it.

Go Flyers

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home