Monday, October 11, 2010

The Waffles Effect and Other Profound Thoughts

1) Reading about Waffles and his progress with C25K, I have finally been shamed enough to get off my butt, begin to exercise, and modify my diet. Or maybe it was stepping on the scale and seeing that I have ballooned up to the highest weight in my life. Whichever does not really matter, I guess. But it is time for me to step up and quit being such a pudge.

2) Watching Monday Night Football tonight, I saw a Brett Favre to Randy Moss touchdown. Or should I say a prima donna times two score. Yeah, one is one of the best ever at throwing the football, one is one of the best ever at catching the football. But what else do they bring to the table? Moss -- little. Tons of problems in the past, a crappy teammate in a team sport. Favre? He used to be golden. Hell, even a staunch Bear fans like me liked and respected the guy. But ever since he started his do I/don't I retire stuff, he has appeared to be more interested in Brett Favre than anything else. I guess we'll soon find out whether he was a total scumbag with his creative use of a cell phone. His failure to immediately declare his innocence and then his apology to teammates for the disrtractions he has caused make it seem like he is culpable. But to tell the truth, I hope the story is garbage.

3) Although it took several teen suidcides to bring the issue of school bullying to national attention, I am happy to see that the issue might now be taken more seriously at many levels. Two of my three children were victims of some nasty bullying in middle school. Unfortunately, some of these middle school kids (future denizens of our prison system, I am sure) have grown up in households where intimidation and violence are part of their everyday life. That video of the parent who boarded the school bus and went ballistic because his daughter was being bullied? For every guy who has done something like this, there are many of us who would have liked to. My son sometimes is put off by what he perceives as my endorsement of occasional vigilante justice. But sometimes assholes only understand things if you put them in a language they understand.

4) I have continued to suffer in silence with online poker, so let me take this opportunity to whine a bit. I am tired of playing a hand perfectly and then getting boned on the river by a two-outer. I am tired of running good hands into rockets. There. I feel better already.

Actually, I have been playing only a few private online tournaments lately. I have not invested the time in playing many of the popular tournaments on Full Tilt or PokerStars. I am concerned I am losing my edge -- or what little edge I might have had!

5) The Bears are tied for the best record in the NFL. Hey -- a lame 4-1 is still 4-1. The defense is back. Now if only the offensive line can actually block some people, Cutler can get rid of the ball and stay healthy, and the Bears coaches get their heads out of their butts. Am I asking for too much?

5 Comments:

Blogger Josie said...

Good luck with The Waffles Effect - It hasn't been all that effective with me. :(

6:09 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Inspired by Waffles, this has to be the low point of your life.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Waffles evidently survived it; you may.

I don't walk; I smoke; but, I'm not overweight. This may be the sole location I can at least put on an air of superiority.

The Bears need to come up with something shorter than the 7-step drop back.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Favre looked pathetic Monday night. How can someone as experienced as he is make such bad decisions?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

Inspired by Waffles? Now that's desperation to a degen level! Actually, I hope the Favre story is true, only because he's become such a complete and total douchenozzle the last four years.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home