Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Family Updates

Sometimes things just do not work out, as my oldest daughter found out the hard way. Her move to Texas this past January did not turn out the way she hoped. She was immediately homesick, had difficulty finding a job, had to deal with bed bugs three times, had car problems, blew a tire, on and on ... We finally decided that enough was enough and pulled the plug on her Texas adventure. She is really looking forward to coming home despite having to immediately live with her parents! I'll be heading into Lucki Duck territory in a week to get her.

Mrs. lightning has a job interview at the neighboring university next week. We hope it goes well. Although she has applied for a number of university jobs, this will be only her second interview. She is almost at the two year mark without full-time professional employment. She has always been able to find part-time gigs that don't pay much, but getting something more closely fitting her education, experience, and skills would be nice.

It was about one year ago that we started checking into a health problem my son was having. On April 2, 2010, I wrote a post about my son's early struggles in life. Among other things, I said "Challenges exist in every family. We seemed to have weathered this major one." Little was I to know that on one week later my son would be diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, necessitating an immediate trip to the Mayo Clinic for surgery.

I am happy to report that my son's recovery has been excellent. He appears to remain cancer-free. He has really gotten into school work, and we think that by the end of his high school junior year he will have already accumulated 29 hours of college-level credit thanks to taking Russian at the local community college and testing high enough to receive many AP credits.

My youngest daughter survived her bullying problems from a couple of years ago and can not wait to get out of middle school and begin high school in the fall. She is still waiting for her dad to take her back to Las Vegas!

As for me -- well, I'm still chugging along. My plan for healthier living got waylaid last spring due to dealing with the cancer ordeal. However, I am giving it a shot again and have already started changing my diet and eating habits. The exercise part will soon follow. I continue to have a great secure job, and I am certainly thankful of that in this economy. However, the legislative peckerheads in Illinois are doing everything they can to get at my pension money. Only time will tell how successful they will be.

I continue to play online poker, probably with less enthusiasm than in the past. I need to play more b&m poker. I am excited to hear, however, that BBT6 is on the way!

That is it from my little corner of the world. Challenges are always present, but I am thankful to have the life, family, and friends that I have, including several of you online poker donks! My best to all of you as we make our way through this thing we call life.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger PokahDave said...

Looks like you will be in great shape (well relatively)for the BBT6. Maybe all this great karma will get you into the TOC!

1:23 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Here is to the new year hopefully better than the last.

Couch to 5K man! It works. I am starting up again this Saturday! Throw in some 100 Pushup program too and you will look like a fit and trim perv instead of a fat and dumpy one.

1:24 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Gee Waffles, you sure know how to sweet talk a guy!

I just really need to kick myself in the butt regarding exercise (some task in itself!). This one bum knee I have makes me less than enthusiastic sometimes, however.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Shrike said...

Good luck with the new exercise program.

-PL

1:59 PM  
Blogger BigPirate said...

Glad things are looking up.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Lucki Duck said...

Let me know if you and your daughter need any help loading. I'll be glad to send Ms Lucki Duck right over :o)

Good luck to your wife on her interview. Hopefully it will be exactly what she's looking for.

Seriously, if I can be of service with the move please contact me.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

So glad your son is well. All the rest is good too.

3:47 PM  
Blogger crafty said...

Thank the lack of God that things are going well for you. Now take down that picture of you shaking hands with that ratbag Phil Hellmuth and everything will be as close to perfect as it gets.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

GL to Mrs. Lightning. She's been a victim of circumstances, and good karma must surely be coming her way.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home