Friday, March 18, 2011

Good News Today & Off To Texas

Scholastic Bowl State Finals
Today had an air of excitement since my son's Scholastic Bowl team, in only its second season, competed at the state tournament. They were one of eight teams in their division that qualified for state.

Expectations were high as the team won a squeaker in the first game in its bracket. However, the next game was against a special high school that was designed to recruit the best science and math students in the state. Sheesh, were they tough! Needless to say, the brainiacs took the rookies to town. They eventually won the tournament.

The final game was against an experienced team from a wealthy suburban Chicago school that was three times the size of my son's school. Another lesson for the rookie team. This team only lost one game -- to the braniac team, of course!

We were pretty proud of my son and his team. My kids were never interested in sports, so getting to go to the state finals of Scholastic Bowl competition was a thrill.

What ... a job????
Finally, after almost two years spent searching for a professional job, my wife finally got a job offer! The position is currently half time with the possibility of it moving to full time. This works well for now as it gets her back doing what she has come to love -- training students and staff in computer software applications -- while allowing her to keep her part-time job assisting with the religious education and the administration of the local temple. She is very excited, as the tough job market and her lack of success in landing a job had begun to wear on her.

Off to Texas
In the morning we are hitting the road to fetch my daughter home from Texas. She just was not ready to move that far from home yet and had a terrible string of things happen to her. I am not sure how her return will work out, but it was certainly terrible for us to see how unhappy she has been these past couple of months. Unfortunately, this was an expensive lesson for both her and us. However, she is doing excellent work in her online classes, so at least her education is progressing.

Las Vegas calling lightning36 ...
Reservations are now set for my next trip to Las Vegas -- June 19-24. I will be staying at Bally's the length of the trip. I'll bet The Neophyte and Lucki Duck are surprised to hear this! Anyone else going to Las Vegas that week? I am not sure what tournaments I might play -- maybe WSOP donkathon, Venetian Deep Stack, the summer series at Binions or the Golden Nugget -- who knows?

I am taking my laptop with me to hopefully post on the road these next few days. It looks like it is time to experience part of America one mile at a time.

Till next time ...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Neophyte said...

Have a good time in Texas and be careful driving there and back. I am shocked, totally shocked that you are going back to Vegas and staying at Ballys. That will save you at least 20 minutes every day not having to walk there and back. Of course you'll probably be heading up to the IP to the Hash House a few times so maybe the time savings won't be as great. Have a great time Light. Beat down the tourists for me. Suck out on them once or twice as well and tell em it was from me.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

Son - That's AWESOME! He's obviously smarter than his father.

Wife - Send her my congrats! Um she sounds smarter than you too.:P

Daughter - I'm so glad she's coming home, and if she never left she'd never appreciate coming home so much.

Lightbulb - Vegas in June baby! I think I'm in.

9:29 AM  
Blogger cmitch said...

Sounds like good news all around with the kiddos. Weeeee!!!!

I'm not sure which week I'll be in LV, but it may be around that same time....I'll let you know

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lucki Duck said...

Vegas bay-bee! Ballys? Again? There are other hotels in Vegas.

Have a safe trip to Teeex-us and back. Bring shorts, it's almost 90 degrees here!

Good luck to Ms Lightning with her new job.

4:04 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Congratz to the kid on the nerd bowl!

Sometimes the little birdies fly and sometimes they fall to the ground and need to wait a bit to fly again.. all part of growing up.. I actually moved back in with my parents for a short time after my first move out. Happens to a lot of people.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home