Friday, May 20, 2011

Coping with Changes in the Online Poker World

Life After Black Friday
We are now five weeks past Black Friday, the day that the world of online poker in the USA was turned completely on its head. Instead of focusing on the related issues such as the status of money at Full Tilt Poker, I instead wanted to focus on the day-to-day reality of the change.

How has it affected me? For starters, it has increased boredom in my life. After a hard day's work I used to look forward to spending some time on Full Tilt Poker, be it playing in one of several blogger private tournaments or messing around at the cash tables. Like many, I really liked playing at Full Tilt. Now it was gone. I have been able to still play at some of my less favorite sites, like UB, Bodog, and Cake, but it is just not the same.

I find that I have been watching more televised sports, especially since post-season play in the NHL and the NBA has been so spectacular. I have watched a few movies and have spent more time cruising around the internet.

What I have really felt, however, is a loss of some of the closeness with some of my blogger friends. Without a regular weekly tournament like the Mookie/Dank, I find that my communication with other bloggers has greatly decreased. Just after a great event like Survive Donkey Island invigorated the blogger community, it is now like we are in a period of extended vacation. Thankfully, some of the bloggers have continued to post on a somewhat regular basis. At least posting and commenting on posts keeps us connected. But, to tell the truth, I really miss the regular routine. A couple of the play money tournaments have been okay, but they are just not the same.

Softball Update
Is it really May? My last softball game was played in frigid, windy conditions. I only got two at bats but went 1-2 with a single (naturally), bringing my batting average down a bit to .714. Ha ha -- I love that -- bringing my average down to .714!


My trip to Las Vegas is getting a little closer and the desire to play some live games is again on the increase. A road trip this weekend might be in order.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Josie said...

For me, there's no boredom. I seem to be busier than usual and I have absolutely zero desire to play on any of the sites that are still running, yet I know what you mean. I miss the camaraderie of playing with all of you guys. That was the best part.

It's funny, but just this morning I was thinking that just a little while ago I was completely consumed by donkey island. Playing it twice a week, blogging about it daily, and strategizing all the live long day. It's funny how things change.

I just cannot play poker when money is not involved. It's like going on a date with a mannequin. Even if you think you're getting lucky, there ain't nothing there.

I may play Heff's game again, just to say hello to everyone.

Light, I was thinking of you this morning when the newscaster announced "Bruins, annihilate LIGHTING". LOL

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I feel the boredom, and it sucks. It really sucks. I can't believe I miss online poker this much, for most of the same reasons you mentioned. LEMON!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

It looks like you can't play on UB anymore. I logged on last night and it only offered tables with "fun" money.

11:05 AM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

I'm missing it too. And the Twins aren't helping. Sigh. I'll probably start playing live more once my back gets better. Getting old blows.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I really like your blog and would like to get in contact with you concerning an opportunity.
If you are interested please feel free to contact me via email.
Best
Anna
anna@geeko-promotions.com

3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home