Friday, February 03, 2012

The Decision

Well, it is not quite in the same league with LeBron's The Decision, but this week I have had to do some hard thinking about work. I usually choose not to discuss work on my blog or in any social media sites since there have been so many stories of people saying really stupid stuff about their job and getting canned or in trouble. However, I'll just write in a few generalities here, where the biggest danger should be boring any readers to death.

It is time to make a change in the leadership in my department, and everyone is looking toward me. To be honest, I would clearly be the best person to be in charge at this point. However, there are a ton of negatives to being head of my department. I would spend a significant amount of time in meeting ... after meeting ... after meeting, have to deal with some tricky personnel issues, and have a ton of work to do over the next three years as we will prepare to move into a new building that will soon be built. The compensation for the increased responsibility is abysmal. I had been in charge once before many moons ago, and try as I might, I was unable to negotiate the bump in salary that really should go along with the added responsibilities. In reality, I was very unhappy much of the time I was the boss.

Nominations are due by noon on Friday. I am positive that I will be nominated, maybe with others who also do not want the job. I have decided to decline the nomination, and most likely there will be no candidates who will accept, meaning that some additional thought and changes will have to go into the process. There is always a chance that having no viable candidates could somehow lead to a situation that no one in the department would like -- getting someone from outside to be in charge. That would probably be a last resort, though.

I feel torn because I have always been a team player and feel the responsibility to step up when needed. However, I also believe in fundamental fairness in work, and the lack of adequate pay for the position has always bothered me.

When I was in an earlier stage of my career I could always look past the pay because of the increase in status, the practical experience, and the positioning for even further advancement. However, I am now on the back nine of my career. If I eventually end up in the position, it will clearly be more for the institution and my coworkers, not for me.

Of course, this is the CliffsNotes version of the situation. There are many details I cannot share in a public forum.

So tell me ... am I a chump for even considering this?

9 Comments:

Anonymous KenP said...

Maybe Josie would be willing to relocate. I'm sure she'd find being bossy to a whole group that included her boy toy interesting.

That kind of brings up the real subject. Getting the wrong person as your boss might be worse than being the boss. You aren't going to revise the resume. Your stuck. Think of the worst possible choice and everyone better being unwilling. Meet the new ruler.

No I didn't mean the Republican candidates. Well maybe. But you see my point.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Cranky said...

After having a heart attack, I suspect you want to limit your stress, too. A job with more demands and no meaningful comp increase is just a recipe for trouble for you. Doesn't seem to be much point in taking on the role unless you can get sufficient compensation to make it worth the added hours and stress.

Good luck whichever way it ends up.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Lucki Duck said...

What Cranky said.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Ditto the Cranky comments. I think I'd do what you're doing and worry about whoever is the new boss later.

10:11 AM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

As Thumper is my witness, Cranky has a point. Yet, Ken does as well. A bad boss can be stressful, even though perhaps not as fatiguing as being the boss. I suspect the things you cannot share with us are the more important considerations.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Bayne_S said...

Unless you have your own company you will still have a boss.

Becoming a boss to avoid bad boss is no fun because you soon learn that you have to help your subordinates solve their petty little problems that you used to not give a shit about.

Enjoy the final third of career doing what you prefer on a daily basis

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Not only are you on the back-9, but the rules of the workplace have changed since you were younger. As we all know now, it is every man for himself. The fact that a position with more responsibility does not also come with sufficient compensation says it all. The company is not being loyal to its employees, so no need for you to show loyalty to them. Pass on the nomination and hopefully that will force them to up the pay in their own self interest.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Littleacornman said...

I'm with Jordan on this.If they think you're the man for the job they should cough up and pay you accordingly.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Is it possible to explain to the powers that be that you can accept this position but only if you your compensation is increased comenserate with the responsibilities? Otherwise, it's a no-go. You have to be fair to yourself above all. Good luck whatever you decide.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home